Chapter 20: Katherine

Tonight, Matt is coming over for dinner and meeting his daughter for the first time. I can't wait to see him.

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

"Hold on a second!" I finished getting ready. I open the door and see Matt looking handsome as always in a button up and jeans.

He smirks. "Are you going to let me in or keep staring?" I shake my head and let him inside the house. "Wow, this place is nice."

I gave him a tour of the house. After the tour, we sat down in the dining room and ate. "So, what have you been up to?"

"Well, I have two kids now. I hired the best babysitter you could ever imagine; you will really like her once you meet her."

"Babysitter?"

He missed so much, and he didn't get to see Mallory and Katherine grow up. Not to mention, I have a gallery to run and so someone else had to help me raise the kids. "Yeah, cause work can get really busy."

"Yeah, no I get it. So, how long have you lived here?"

"About a year."

"Where did you stay before that?"

"At a safe house."

"Was Todd there?"

"Yes. But let me make one thing clear, nothing romantic happened with him and to be honest we aren't even close friends."

"Oh, okay."

"What about Katie?"

"I think you are more of her type."

"Oh."

"So, have you.... you know.... been with anyone else?"

"No."

He lets out a breath and smiles. "Good, me neither."

"It's just been me, Mallory, and Kitty-Kat living here."

"Kitty-Kat?"

"Katherine."

"I like it, it's cute."

"Mallory gave her the nickname."

"I wish I could have been there when she was born."

I reach across the table and place my hand over his. "I do too, I wanted to find you and tell you so badly...but it wasn't safe yet, for either of us."

"I know, I don't fault you for that." He squeezes my hand and gives it a kiss. "I can't believe I found you."

"I'm happy you did." I say with a smile. "I have something for you." I get up and go to my room. I find the photo album and go back to the dining room.

"What's this?"

I handed him the photo album. "Just look at it."

The look on his face is priceless when he sees the pictures of his newborn baby girl. "She is.... beautiful." I smile at his reaction. "Where is she now?"

"Sleeping in her crib," I answered. "Want to go see her?"

His eyes light up with joy, and it melts my heart. "Yes, I would love that."

"Come on then." I take his hand in mine and lead him to the nursery.

His breath catches the moment he lays his eyes on her. "May....may I hold her?"

"Sure, just be quiet. She is a light sleeper," I whisper.

He picks up Katie-Bear, which is my little nickname for her, and holds her in his arms. "Hi, my little angel," he whispers. I smile at the sight of them. I have never seen him happier. "She is perfect." I stand next to him and rest my head on his shoulder. "She has your nose."

"And your eyes." I sigh happily. I could stay like this forever. Crap, what am I going to tell Mallory? Later, we sit down on the couch and cuddle. "I probably should have told you this earlier..."

"What?"

"Mallory....um...thinks you are dead."

"I'm sorry, what?" He looks shocked and I don't blame him. "Mallory thinks I'm dead?"

"Yeah..."

"Did you tell her that?"

"What? No. Of course not."

"Then who did?" He is hurt, he loves Mallory like a daughter.

"She came to that conclusion on her own...sort of."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really!"

He crosses his arms. "I don't believe you."

"Look, she was with Todd's son, Thomas. Thomas's mother passed away a few months ago. Mallory was asking me if the reason you were gone was because you were with Thomas's mother in Heaven."

"And what did you tell her?"

"I told her that you were safe at home, for some stupid reason she didn't believe me and now she thinks that you are dead."

"Wow, that is a lot to unpack."

"I know." I hold his hand in mine.

"So, what do we do if she sees me?"

"I will tell her about you tomorrow, I promise."

"Okay, then."

"So, you aren't mad anymore?"

"I didn't think that the dead have feelings."