Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined

Radley woke with a pounding in his head. Then he noticed the warm body snuggled against him. Instinctively, he tightened his arm around her. The memories of what he had shared with Charlotte last night, the love she had professed and demonstrated made him an extremely happy man.

His desire to see her face had him moving his head, which hadn't been a great idea. Pain ripped through him. After it calmed, he looked to see her face, but her hair hid all but the movement of her breathing. Each time she exhaled through her lips, the hair blew. He reached out and carefully used his finger to brush the hair back. When he did, she twitched her nose and buried her face against his chest.

He may have been slightly drunk last night, but he definitely pleased her more than once. Their sexual activity had taught her the real meaning of love and romance. She had fallen asleep knowing exactly how much he loved her... and who she now belonged to.

Today, they would marry even if they repeated the vows for her family—and perhaps, even his father would attend that celebration. But only if he accepted the fact he had lost control of his children.

By the angle of the sun shining through his window, he knew the hour was late. With a kiss on her head, he managed to disentangle himself from her and climb out of bed. With the bathing chamber down the hall, he slipped into his robe and headed that way. He stopped to use the convenience first, and then, he start the stove to heat the water tank for a bath.

After he cleaned his teeth to help with the obnoxious taste in his mouth, he returned to the room, Charlotte stood at the window with a sheet draped around her. Her long, dark hair fell down her back like a waterfall and drew him to her.

"Did I wake you when I left to see to our bath?" he asked, pulling her against him and kissing her temple.

"I saw you leave. Is your head the size of a pumpkin this morn?"

It pleased him to know she would consider his wellbeing. "A thunderstorm raged within at first, but tis tolerable. Food and some fresh air will resolve the problem. You look fetching this morning in that sheet," he said, rubbing his hand up and down her arm. Then he gave her a quick kiss on her neck and moved to the bed.

He threw the pillows at a chair, ripped the covers off, and checked the bottom sheet. Her virgin's blood marked it. Pleasure at seeing it put a smile on his face as he freed it from the bed.

Charlotte came near to watch him, saw what he was looking at, and giggled. "Whatever are you thinking? Do you plan to wash it to destroy the evidence?"

"No. I'm keeping it. This is proof that you have given yourself to me. In Scotland, this is known as the proof of a claiming. A priest isn't needed for man to know the importance of that union. So, to me, this is meaningful. There will be no backing out of marrying me today."

"You may rest assured that we shall marry... soon," she said hesitating.

"Today, Charlotte. Waiting can only complicate what I see as complete. You gave me your vow of love and gave yourself to me. That makes you my bride." He hugged the balled up sheet against his chest while he waited for an argument from her.

A devilish grin appeared as she sighed. "Well, you see, I only think..." His eyes had begun to squint in readiness to argue. "Well—considering the event of last night, and the plan to attain the license..." his eyes began to glare, "that I am most relieved to hear you wish to marry immediately."

He let out a gust of air he'd been holding. "Your agreement pleases me." Then, he realized she had been teasing him all along and began laughing. "Imp. You did that on purpose."

"You enjoy my rebellious nature—when you win," she said with eyes sparkling with mischief. "I would not wish to deprive you of the sport. Nor would I want you to question your decision to marry me," she said, breaking out with laughter.