Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help

A short fence circled the yard of the little brownstone house to keep animals out. Radley opened the gate and swung it closed as he walked up the stone walkway to the house. The door to the house opened, and a slender man in his mid-forties stepped outside.

"Lord Brighton, tis mighty good to see ye, Milord. We kept hoping you would come. Did you get the letter I asked our neighbor to write to ye?" He stepped back and opened his door wide, waving his hand for Radley to step inside.

Instead of entering, he stood looking at the coach. "No, I'm afraid I didn't, but I will find out why. I was just married, and I brought my bride here to stay for a while."

"That's good news, Milord. Congratulations." He scratched his beard before asking, "There's nothing left at the house, is there?"

"No, they took almost everything. Did you see something, Louis?"

He nodded his head. "The field where the corn and wheat are planted has a good view of the manor. Every once in awhile, we would see furniture piled on a wagon being taken away. I asked your bookkeeper, Talbot, what was going on, and he said the furniture had dry rot and he was taking it to be repaired. Nevertheless, that didn't sound right to me because Herbert usually fixes things like that for ye. It's what ye do to help us earn extra money. But then I caught him leavin' at night with things. That's when I had Lord Milton, your neighbor, write that letter about what I'd seen."

"That was a good thing you did, Louis. You were right. I would have taken the furniture to Herbert, but there was nothing wrong with it. He was stealing it. Do you perchance know where he could have taken it? Did you ever follow him?"

"About the tenth time we saw him leave in that wagon, I took my plow horse and rode down to look inside your window. It was too dark to see, but he hadn't locked it up, so I, beg your pardon, Milord, I went inside to see. The rooms downstairs were almost empty. So, the next time he left, I followed him. There's this empty house about ten miles from here, and I saw him taking your things inside. His last trip was two days ago."

"If I go now, I may catch him," Radley said out loud.

"You best take others with ye. Talbot might have others workin' with him. I have a musket. Shall I go with ye?"

Radley ran a hand through his hair. "My wife can't wait for me in the carriage while I'm gone. She's as hungry as I am. I need to..."

"Milord, I can feed ye some vitals. Your bride can stay here with my wife. I have two bedrooms. My son built a home not far from here, and now that room is empty."

He had no idea what kind of condition it would be in, much less ask Charlotte to stay here while he ran after a thief. The door to the carriage opened, and Charlotte climbed down. "If you wanted privacy, husband, you should have gone inside with Mr. Lewis."

"Just Lewis, Milady," he said with a tug of his forelock.

"My husband is overly worried about me, Lewis. Would you happen to have enough food for all of us? We can make sure you are paid for it." She stepped beside Radley, who looked concerned. "I would love to meet your wife."

"You are welcome inside, Milady."

"Thank you. That is most kind of you." She stepped forward and walked through the doorway. Lewis's wife was stirring a large pot in the fireplace. When she saw Charlotte, she stood and curtsied.

"Milady. Please, come in." She smoothed the stray strands of her brown hair away from her pleasant face. "As a new bride, I am sure ye are disappointed at what has happened."

"You heard the conversation as well?" Charlotte asked with a grin.

"Aye, Milady, I did." She smoothed the apron over her flat stomach, trying to tidy herself. "This may be simple stew, but there is plenty for everyone, and I've made fresh bread as well."