1.

*

*

As I peer through the window, the clouds darken. Shifting and swirling, a shape forms. A dark green light pierces through and my breath catches. For a quarter of a second, I think I see it. The Dark Mark.

I blink, startled. The clouds fade to back to the dark patches of grey and I release an exhale, wondering if I imagined it.

"You're not crazy."

I jump, whirling around, to see a pair of ice grey eyes staring back at me.

"What?"

A flash of a smirk lit up his face. "I saw it, too."

"Saw what?" I try to keep my voice calm, but it comes out higher than I intended.

The smirk stretches. "Don't make me say it."

I press my lips tighter together. His gaze lingers on them for a moment, before switching back to my eyes.

He leans forward, his voice barely a whisper.

"The Dark Mark."

I shiver, feeling his warm breath splash my skin. I can't have seen it. The Dark Mark can't be seen from the school grounds because of all the spells and enchantments protecting us. But if he saw it, too, is it possible that the wards have weakened?

I'd be foolish to think anything is impossible anymore.

"I saw nothing."

His grin is wolfish. "Liar."

I cast my eyes nervously over my shoulder, fearing someone will see us. Everyone knows not to fraternise with students from Slytherin house. Especially not the boy in front of me. Platinum blond hair, grey eyes so pale they appear silver.

Pushing from the wall, I hurry away, only to be tugged back when his long fingers wrap around my wrist.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?"

"I need to get back to the common room," I answer. "It's getting late."

"When has that mattered before?"

I swallow, averting my eyes to the floor. This can't be happening. The lingering stares, the gentle brushing of arms during class, accidentally double booking the back room of the library, meeting up when it's only us and the darkness. With each day that passes, we get more confident and more careless.

"Draco," I say, my voice a little shaky. "If we are seen..."

"Then we are seen," he offers a half-shrug. "Does it really matter?"

I look up at him through my lashes. "Yes, it does."

"Why?"

"Because my brother is Harry's friend," I argue. "You're meant to be the enemy. And Slytherin house..."