2.

My feet slap against the cobblestone floor as I rush toward class

I burst into the room, sending some poor boy's papers flying into the air. I hastily brush my hair from my face and apologise. We both duck down to grab them and end up hitting heads. Laughter erupts around us and I groan, rubbing my head.

"Ow," I whine. "Sorry."

"It's fine," Neville mumbles–another friend of my brother's–humiliation burning his cheeks as he fumbles for his things.

"Enough, enough," Professor Snapes spits towards us. "You've wasted enough of everyone's time. Get to your seat."

Unable to keep the sour expression from my face, I trudge to a table at the back of the class. I overslept and didn't have time to get ready this morning. I hate this class for two reasons–Professor Snape seems to have a vendetta against all students in the Gryffindor house and second, this one of the few classes I don't share with Draco. Our years have merged in some classes because of numbers and split because of others. This is one of the others.

I prop my chin into my hand and try my hardest not to let my eyes close. I think I'm managing okay until a loud thump startles me so violently, I topple from my chair.

"Thirty points from Gryffindor," Snape snarls at me, his eyes narrowing, before he marches to the front, his midnight black cape billowing behind him. "And see me after class!" he barks over his shoulder.

I'm in a foul mood for the rest of the lesson. When everyone gathers their things, I reluctantly wait back.

"Late, falling asleep in class, bruises on your neck." His voice is dreadfully slow, his lips curling unnecessarily around each word. He tugs at the sleeves of his cloak, before leaning back onto his desk. "Miss Finnigan, you wouldn't be up to anything mischievous, would you?" He quirks an eyebrow at me. "Surely not a stand-up, Gryffindor student such as yourself?"

I swallow, shifting uncomfortably under his gaze. "No, sir."

"Lies," he hisses. "You know who I am, yes?" He clasps his hands together. "What I am capable of? I can get the truth out of you easily."

I hang my head. "Professor Snape... I won't be late or cause any disturbance again in your class. Please."

He shakes his head, a strand of his jet-black hair falling onto his pale forehead. "Too late. Tell me. What is it you've been up to?"

I shake my head, my words getting caught in my throat.

Suddenly, he is right in front of me, leering down at me. His mouth opens–I'm sure to fire out more threats–when the door bangs open.

"Leave her alone."

Snape whirls around, seeing Draco in the doorway. His grey eyes are dark, hands fisted at his sides.