20. Love will tear us apart

William runs for the door

William runs for the door. He can't breathe. His mind is whirling and frantic. This is happening. He doesn't even see her, he just assumes she went outside. The music is suddenly too loud, people obnoxious . He fights his way through the crowds, then the exit door and runs towards Nina when he spots her going towards their car.

"Nina, stop!"

He shouts, catching up with her. He stops at the side of the car and stands still for a second. He can't see her face or what she is doing until she slams both fists into the roof of a car.

"Tell me you're not fucking him." William can't react immediately, surprised by the unexpected question, Nina rarely using such vocabulary. And she is never violent. But then again, had she ever been cheated on?

"Nina, please calm down. I... " William whispers, still trying to catch his breath from running after her.

"No. I can't calm down. Please, just tell me." she begs. Uncontrollable pain and hurt storms through William, realising how much pain his actions caused.

"Nina, you don't deserve this. I never wanted you to find out like this..."

"You mean, you wanted me to find out during some nice candle lit dinner?"  she interrupts him as small rain drops start falling on their hot faces.

"I am not sure what was happening myself, you have to believe me, I... was confused, but it just happened. And I know it was wrong, so so wrong, and words can't express how sorry I am for doing this to you but... Nina... things ...aren't like they were before...I'm sure you noticed too."

"Oh yeah. I definitely noticed how you didn't touch me in weeks."

"No, that's not what I mean!"

"Ok ok. Stop talking! I... need to calm down, this is..." She takes a deep breath and starts pacing in front of the car. "We will fix this. I have to think ..."

"Nina..."

"I get it William. I do, it was just sex, you were bored, and both of us - we are busy people, we've been together for a long time and it's normal. Besides Lennon Lewis is... persuasive. And you've been confused, couples go through phases like this and we will too. I will forgive you. I will do it for us..." Nina is rambling, her mind going everywhere.

"No, Nina! We can't fix this. I cheated on you, it was wrong. You don't deserve this. You deserve someone better than I am. I think... it's not just sex... with Lennon. " She laughs lightly as she brushes a stray hair out of her face. A frown clouds her features as she fiddles with her fingers aimlessly. William furrows his eyebrows in confusion as he watches her stare at the cement floor.

"Get in the car Nina." William orders. "Please. Just get in the car."

He opens the door for her and she gets in, not looking at William. After he sits down on the driver's seat, he thinks of Lennon and how things will change after tonight. This moment right now is hard and he really doesn't want to be here breaking up with her like this, but he has too. He has to have this talk with Nina, even if they're here all night, he has to get it over with. And then tomorrow he will be free. Free to be with Lennon.