Chapter Two

Sol could not move

Sol could not move.

     As much as he wished to run for shelter towards his home and search for his mother, he could not bring himself to move even a single muscle. It felt as though the world had just shattered to pieces, leaving him breathless. Everything was sinking with the land of flames, like quicksand, and gnawing away at every bone inside his body.

     There was no escape. The reality of his homeland was being torn to shreds, sunken and abandoned deep in the land, as everything melted away with the flames in front of his eyes.

     Quickly broken from his fearful, helpless trance, the large beast before his eyes shrieked a loud cry once more. It was making its way closer towards Sol.

    Out of nowhere, Sol was pushed to the ground with a thud. His brother, Qahir, grazed beside him in the ashy dirt. Sol searched frantically for the beast once more, who had swooped into the ridge, shattering it to pieces. The ground rumbled, followed by a piercing screech that erupted out of the beast.

    "What the fuck is that!" Sol yelled above the screams of their villagers.

     "Come on!" Qahir shouted back. But the sound only drowned out in the chaos. Qahir reached for Sol in a panic, and shook him out of his paralysis before bolting closer into the depths of the ramshackle village. Sol caught a brief glimpse of Ying close behind.

     He yanked himself back up and followed their tracks as they all crashed through the harsh thicket of smoke and flames. Sol couldn't believe this; he wouldn't. He didn't want to imagine everything during the aftermath, everyone gone...dead

     Sol stumbled behind. Tears formed  at the corners of his eyes; fear quickly clouded over his vision of bravery. He could feel the heat close by from the large fire bursting its way through the surrounding forestry, like hot summer rays breaking through the canopy during a heatwave. Everything was diminishing.

     There was nothing he could do. The ghastly flames only grew taller, feeding from the devastation and fear of his villagers.

    Before he could get caught in the reality of everything washing away, the dragon terrorized the skies; its large wingspan was enough to suffocate a dozen of them. Hot and bubbling fire escaped its mouth, brewed from its  large stomach, deteriorating their homes. Sol turned back as a growling rose from the serpent-like creature, booming over the colossal waves of scorching flames that the dragon spewed forththe inferno targeting the already burning village.

     A large gust of wind suddenly knocked Sol back, making his head hit the rubble. An explosion nearby had lit upward from the ground towards his left, spraying debris and rocks everywhere. Sol reached to touch his temple, and blood drizzled down his face from a large cut.

     Sol hastily ducked behind a remaining heavy steel wagon with a whimper as he grasped his bloody head. He searched frantically nearby but had lost sight of Qahir and Ying. As Sol continued searching for answers, escapes or anything to avoid death, his eyes met the amber gaze of the huge beast, who had its  sight snagged on  him behind the wagon. He stared as it landed on the ground in front of him with a quaky thud.

The Black Scales of Spitfyre (The Spitfyrian Saga #1)          On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara