Prologue

"Wait, Miliani! Please slow down!" Aytigin yelled after her as he weaved through the tall grass and thicket of bushes that separated the palace grounds from the riches of the forest

     When he caught up with Miliani, the young lady was smoothing out her lilac dress that had got entangled in the twigs and dirt. A soft giggle tainted her lips. "I told you that I was faster than you, Ayti," she said. Miliani tilted her head to look above them. The wind whistled around the tree trunks, causing the leaves on branches to rustle.

Aytigin rested against the rough tree-bark alongside Miliani for a few moments to catch his breath. "No," he scoffed. "I let you win this time. Besides, we've lost Rhea." He straightened the hem of his grey tunic and glazed his eyes over the overgrown field of blooming lilies in search for their royal guardian.

Father won't be happy with us.

Miliani paused, stretching out the moment. Her self-satisfied grin told Aytigin what she was about to say next. "That was the point, Aytigin. Loosen up; I'm sure Rhea won't mind as long as we're back for supper."

Aytigin didn't usually say anything, but he'd always contemplate it. But this time he did. The brilliant light of the sun spilled across the outgrowth of the eucalyptuses, and sweet, untainted air caressed his face. Rhea had always been a confidante to Aytigin. Ever since he was a child, she was there for him. "But I don't want Rhea to get in trouble," he said. "She works so hard, and we should have just asked her if we could go to the woods."

"But what fun would that be?" Miliani opposed. "Father would never allow for it."

Of course he wouldn't.

"Well, Father isn't here, is he?" Miliani teased.

Aytigin sighed and closed his eyes. The brisk brilliance of springtime accentuated the brown of his gleaming skin. He inhaled the fresh air -- its earthy petrichor flooded his nostrils.

"What is that?"

Aytigin's eyelids fluttered open, and he looked at  his twin sister, clearly annoyed with her. That was until he realized her dark brows were furrowed, and she was casting a fleeting, yet curious look towards him from a short distance away.