CHAPTER TWO | What is APIFantasy?

APIFantasy is a profile dedicated to highlighting stories with Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy elements. Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy is an emerging subgenre of fantasy that incorporates unique tropes and character development arcs and draws upon Asian & Pacific Islander culture to address complex societal issues and family values.

In order for a work to be considered Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy, your story must contain a protagonist of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent. We want the focus of the story to be about these cultures, so we do not accept stories with Asian and/or Pacific Islander side characters or love interests.

Your story must also contain one or more of the following elements from Asian and/or Pacific Islander culture:

🌸 Myths and folkloric legends;

🌸 Re-imagined historical events; and

🌸 Related Asian Fantasy and/or Pacific Islander Fantasy themes and tropes.

You don't have to be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent to write within this genre, but it is important to ensure you are conducting enough research and seeking sensitivity readers, so that you don't cause offense to anyone who reads your work. With the right dedication, you too can create a compelling epic romantic fantasy like Three Lives, Three Worlds, a wondrous wuxia like The House of the Flying Daggers, a thrilling adventure like Brahmāstra: Part One – Shiva, or exciting adventures like Moana.

Cultivate your writing skills to become an Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy Deity now!