Chapter 1: Light in the Darkness

VELCOME.... ADD THIS DELICIOUS BOOK TO YOUR LIBRARY, IF YOU DARE! 

OH, AND DO MAKE SURE TO VOTE AND LEAVE LOTS OF CUPCAKE FEEDBACK FOR YOUR DEAR FRIEND KAT. OR ELSE... *motions to Death, who is hanging upside down from the ceiling by a chain with a sock in his mouth* *He waggles his eyebrows as if he kinda likes it*

HUGS & KNIVES.

Instagram/Twitter: katrocks247

***

When I first jumped through a portal to save Death, I landed right into the Unknown. 

Not so gracefully, might I add, since I specifically remember landing in a thorn bush. But there was nothing in-between home and there. Just a quick transition between realms that had left me a little breathless. Point A straight to point B.

This time? Well.

Walking through that second portal felt like stepping off an edge of a nightmare into an endless, dark abyss. The was no light, no ground, no sky, and no sound. Nothing but a petrifying blackness and the all-consuming fear that came with the sensation of falling from a high height. My stomach climbed upwards toward my throat, a silent scream unlashing from my mouth as my body kept rolling over at the hands of a cruel momentum through a path I could not control.

I thought I would die like this. Caito, the mysterious Guardian of the Unknown, had lead me through this portal. He had struck a deal with me. I had three days to collect Death, or else I was his internal prisoner. I know, I just couldn't escape the clichés, but I had a strong feeling Caito's deal was a big heap of bullshit, seeing as he'd basically shot me out into the universe to never be found again.

I fell, and fell, and fell down the black void.

I thought of Death in this madness. I focused on his details as though I were painting him in my mind, the sharp, masculine lines of his hauntingly beautiful face. How his catlike eyes seemed to draw you in like a lure. He'd mastered the art of hiding his emotions from the world, but his eyes never could hold back a sliver of the truth.

In sheer desperation, I reached my hand out toward the abyss, knowing it was impossible grip onto nothing, but nothing was all I had to hold onto. The last thing I'd expected was for something to brush my fingertips. Uncertainty soared through me as I stretched my hand out further, and a gloved hand firmly grasped mine.

There was an explosion of echoing sounds, like rushing through a tunnel. My heart hammered uncontrollably as light burst through the dark, momentarily blinding me. The smell of sweat and gym equipment brought on an instant feeling of nostalgia, and when my eyes adjusted, I realized the source of the bright lights were florescent gymnasium bulbs across the cavernous ceiling above.

A shadow figure loomed over me. The fluorescents seemed to halo around his head, his face slowly coming into focus like a hazy dream. I could hardly breathe.

"Are you going to get up at some point, or are you just gonna' hold my hand with that stupid expression?" Death asked.

Dazed, I planted my feet and let him pull me up. Death. Death was standing two feet away from me. My heart was pounding a mile a minute, my eyes greedily soaked in every inch of him, like I feared he would vanish at any moment. He wore an expected all black ensemble of a long-sleeved black t-shirt, joggers, and trainers. Tattoos snaked over the exposed skin of his neck and curved up the side of his tanned face. His hair, styled in a messy fauxhawk, was the shade of obsidian, and his sinister eyes glowed with an otherworldly power.