Chapter 4: Beaten Hero

Hiiii!! How was everyone's weekend?

Please make sure to vote, leave lots of feedback, share this story with all your BFFs, and add this story to you library for updates!!! 

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! 

***

Wow, you really skipped over my author note like that, huh?

Even when I said I loved you.... Hmph!!!

"I thought you did not speak Latin ?"

I stared wordlessly at Alexandru's mouth as it moved perfectly in sync with what he was saying. The surreal moment of talking to Death's past self and actually understanding him had completely stunted my train of thought.

"Why are you looking at me with your mouth hanging open?" Alexandru asked, becoming frustrated again. "I know you understand me now, so you better not play any more games of witches."

"Witches?" I echoed, finally speaking up. "Wait a minute, you think I'm a witch?"

Well, that explained a lot. Especially him showing me this witchy room.

"You conjured magic from your bag," Alexandru accused. "I felt it paralyze my entire body. And then a daemon spoke to me–yelled at me ­­­­­­­­­in thundering riddles."

I pressed my hands into my eyes and smeared them down my face. Romeo's backpack had been both a blessing and a curse so far. At least I could talk to Alexandru with what appeared to be some sort of language gum. That was the only thing that explained this bizarreness right after I had that reaction to the "gum" in my backpack.

"I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here," I said finally.

We both looked down at my bandaged foot.

"What I mean is," I clarified, "I'm not playing any games with you."

Alexandru frowned, analyzing my clothing, before settling his gaze on my mouth. "Your Latin is strange, and so is your scent."

"I hit my head hard, and it's called body odor."

He walked a circle around me. "No, your scent is deeper to me. You smell like cake with honey."

My heart pounded in my ears. Oh, really? "Huh. I've never been told that before. Thanks?"

"What kind of witch wastes her magic on her own aroma?" he questioned, standing to my left. He was so close that I could feel the heat coming off his bare chest in the wide opening of his tunic. "And what were you doing in that river? Everyone in our village knows how dangerous the waters are at the rapids."

Even if his words did sometimes come out like a horrible Google Translate, this was a very, very convenient accident. And I had to make sure I played this right.

"I'm not from your village." I'm not from this era, either. But only by like, two-thousand years. "I...was fishing––"

"Fishing."

"Yes, fishing," I repeated in a sassier tone. "You know, for fish. Because I was hungry?"

Damnit. He was doing not-blinking thing that Death did when he knew I was lying.

"You do this often?" Alexandru asked. "Fish in dangerous waters, alone?"

"Yes, actually, I do!" I also jump into unstable portals into unstable worlds to save you, you ungrateful bitch. "You don't think I know how to fish?"