Chapter 12: The Seventh Strike

*Cupcake emojis* 

Hey!!!!

Please vote & leave feedback if you want more! ;)

            As I tried to get my bearings with this new memory, Romeo staggered across the cell, zigzagging unsteadily.

His palms flattened on the stone wall as he gazed at himself crooked filthy mirror. The dim lighting of a candle shown off of his bloody nose.

"Nononononono!" he cried, proceeding to have a meltdown. "NO! My beautiful shnozz! You broke it!"

"Better than a malmsey nose, you drunken joke!" shouted a male in the distance, followed be an echoing of other masculine laughter.

Romeo lunged to the cell bars and gripped them with his hands as he leaned in. "Oy! You put a muzzle on your mum yet, Otis? Or do I have to give her another blinker on the eye when the old dog won't stop barking in my bed?"

The prisoners exploded into laughter and woofing.

Romeo popped the collar of his Jester jumper, the bleeding from his nose seeming to have slowed already. "Ugly bespawler, spitting all over the place when he talks," he said, his accent so thick I could barely understand him. "Sorry about that, love. Have to keep up a front down here for survival. I'd never actually raise a hand to someone's Mum." He giggled a bit. "Less' they wanted their arse spanked around, o'course."

"This is going to be a long memory."

Romeo took an unsure step toward me, his unfocused eyes finding mine again with confusion. "Now hold on. Am I utterly sloshed, or did you and those lovely drumsticks appear out of nowhere?"

I shrugged off my backpack, waiting for the perfect moment to shove a piece of gum into my mouth and straighten out this confusing accent. "Um... yes?"

Romeo narrowed his blood-shot eyes. "So, what's this visit in the middle of the night about then? You a harlot?"

"A what?"

He waggled his eyebrows at me. "You know, a sex worker."

I shoved Romeo away from me and his back knocked into the cell bars. His eyes widened to their brim as I fisted his collar. "Call me that again and I'll shove my foot so far up your––"

"Don't finish that one less' you want me to fall in love," Romeo interrupted with a sheepish grin.

I released his collar instantly. "You're disgusting."

"You're not wrong," he said with a shrug. "Didn't mean any insult you, darling. Poppin' into my cell in the middle of the night, I thought you might be a friend of Cordelia's, that's all."

"Who's Cordelia?"

"She's my little jam tart," Romeo sighed, his jester hat tilting a little crookedly on his head and tuffs of brown hair showing through. "A real sphinx. A literal sphinx. That female has my whole heart, or whatever's left of it after rotting so long in this damned place."

Looking around, I lowered my voice. "I didn't actually mean land here," I admitted. 

"Sounds like it. You've got one silly accent, blue eyes." Romeo pressed his fingers on either side of his nose, and I cringed as he snapped something into place. Clearly, he was something supernatural already because his nose was already healed as he cleaned his face with a rag in the mirror. I wondered why I had jumped here and not straight to Death.