Chapter Thirty

The Cheese Gore burgers really were the greatest burgers that Christine had ever eaten, but she was so preoccupied with trying not to see any of the guys that most of the flavor went right past her brain and into her gullet.

"You aren't telling me that you don't appreciate this incredibly luscious flavor, do you?" asked Jen, face stuffed full of meat and oozing mushroom juice. "This beautiful, melted mouthfeel? The sonorous notes of cheese and beef? The mushroom?"

"I appreciate the fact that you're talking even more," said Christine. "Close your mouth, it's disgusting."

"Speak for yourself," mumbled Jen.

"That's the opposite of the point!"

No guys at all. Good. She finished the burger with a mental apology, wishing that she could actually give it the appreciation it deserved.

Jen didn't get an apology though. There was no forgiveness for messy eaters. She stood up and tossed the bag into the bin, washed her hands, then made to leave.

"Where are you going?" asked Jen.

"To my room," said Christine. "Where else?"

Then it occurred to her that Kang might be coming in at some point to a ruined bed, lugging new bedclothes, and that she didn't want to explain anything that had happened to him. It was the coward's way out, but bravery was for chumps.

"Uh, actually, can I hang in your room?"

"Sure," said Jen. "Oh man, the mayo. See you there, Christine."

Christine walked up the stairs as quietly as possible, listening for footsteps. If she even heard one of the guys, she would just turn around and run away. Or she would pretend that she hadn't seen them. Or maybe she would...

"Miss Lam."

"Euuuuek!" she squeaked.

It was Yusuke. He was on the stairs too. She hadn't even heard him.

"My apologies," he bowed. "I did not mean to alarm you."

"Haha. No, it's fine."

GO AWAY go away GO AWAY go away GO AWAY

Actually, Yusuke was right. Her go away alarm, which only sounded in cases of severe social anxiety, was blaring like no tomorrow. It made her want to bolt.

"I hope you were not too hurt by our indiscretions."

Christine shook her head, even as she remembered just how hard she had been crying.

"I wasn't hurt," she said. "Thanks for being there. It helped."

Yusuke nodded calmly.

"Robert's curse is volatile," he said. "August's fay nature makes him mercurial and wanton."

"But you're going to say that they aren't that bad, of course," said Christine, continuing her climb as best as she could. "Well, it was nice talking..."

"No," said Yusuke, already keeping perfect pace beside her. "I think they're foolish, dangerous, and very poor suitors for the Hart Princess, whoever she may be. It's why I must continue our conversation. My apologies."

Christine glanced over at his spiky head, but the hair looked like it would cut her, so she didn't say a word.

Yusuke didn't know about her. If she played her cards right, she could keep it that way.

"Alright, Yusuke," she said. "What do you want to tell me? To be careful?"

"Any person born in the world of mages knows to be careful around beings of the Otherworld," said Yusuke. "August and Robert are both fantastical. They are halfers, if I may use the term. They are not of this world."