Apples and Pears

__________________________

Sometimes the universe tests you the most when you're close to a new chapter.
~ Uknown

___________________________

Paying close attention to my hand-drawn map, I step off the T and begin making my way past the Graduate building of Arts and Sciences while sliding the apple I'd bought prior to hopping on the train into my messenger bag. I try not to look around too much to appear like I know where the hell I am going, but lets be honest... Just like any new kid at school, I'm too tempted to look around and take in the massive structure that is the Tsai Performance Center.

As I stare up at the beautiful building towering above me I am transported back to two years prior when I performed a pas de deux with Casen as part of a benefit Gala here. The Gala was for one of our fellow dancers who'd been injured in a car accident and who's dance career had be subsequently ended. I visualize Casen leaning against the grainy stone smoking a cigarette and smiling down at me while I chow down on a bagel and guzzle a coffee. I'm laughing at something he's saying, which is no surprise. At that point in our friendship, I was sort of considering whether we should take things further. Though my momentary lapse in judgement was quickly righted at the after party that evening when he left with not one, but two, of our co-workers. I quickly learned he preferred his women in multiples and seeing as I didn't have a second head, we weren't going to happen. Two weeks later he moved into mine and Emma's new apartment to fill the spare room.

I shake my head and blink causing the visual to evaporate on the wind. Right. I'm on a mission: Get to the English Department in one piece and without sticking out like a sore thumb. I look at my hand drawn map again before quickly shoving it into my skirt pocket: go straight, turn to the left and it's third building over. As I walk, my mind wanders again and I berate myself for my silly map. I wouldn't have cared so much about knowing the ends and outs if it was fall because there would be a multitude of new students on campus, but seeing as it was January and most other students had time to get used to the campus I felt like the odd woman out.

I transferred to Boston University last year after taking night classes at a community college for a year and a half. I'd deferred for the first half of the year when I was given more roles than I could handle in the middle of my sixth season with the ballet company. I had high hopes at the time of finally getting the promotion I knew I deserved and possibly even some more prominent roles, but after a fall out with our Director during Nutcracker I called and spoke to an Advisor and convinced them to let me attend spring term at BU. Promptly resigning from my position with BSB.

While lost in my thoughts I bump into someone, sending loose papers and books tumbling to the ground. I wince as one lands on my foot.

"Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry," comes a panicked voice. " I wasn't paying attention at all. Oh, my... shit." A petite girl with auburn hair tucked into a neat bun scrambles to tack down all of her papers without meeting my eyes. She manages quite skillfully considering she's wearing a gray pencil skirt with red heels and a loose blouse that's tucked in... or was tucked until she reached to grab a paper that threatened to escape.