The podium pear

______________________________

"No Amount of time and space can separate you from the people who are meant to be in your life. They will always come back."
-Uknown

______________________________

A throat clears bringing me out of my stupefaction, and I blink repeatedly in an attempt to clear my vision. All of the students turn back to the front of the room as my eyes remain prisoner to Professor Davenport's intense gaze for a moment longer than necessary. I break away first as I look down in utter embarrassment, allowing my long layered bangs to fall in front of my face.

What if he remembers you? Don't be serious, that was nearly nine years ago, you look far different. No, it's totally possible.

Shit.

I stare at my empty notepad pretending to be interested in the blue lines of its blank pages as the heat rises in my face until a hand appears in front of it. I tilt my head up to see a thin long face smiling back at me and I'm momentarily reminded of one of those grass-heads I witnessed my cousin, Abigail, make one summer when we were high school. I blink.

"Here you go," The boy in front of me whispers conspiratorially, holding out my now thoroughly bruised apple.

I tuck my hair back behind my ear again before taking my apple from him, "Thanks." I place the apple in my lap and grip it as if my life depends on its solidity. I cross and uncross my legs unconsciously, well unconsciously until I notice I'm doing it.

"Excuse me, Professor," A hand shoots up towards the front of the room and I recognize the voice as Fai's.

"Yes? Ms.?" he asks, walking in her direction.

"Hathaway, Fai Hathaway. I'm just wondering if we will continue forward with the syllabus set up by Professor Gunther or if you will be sending out a new one?" she asks, placing her hand back on her desk and nearly knocking a book off in the process.

Everyone apparently gets nervous around Professor Davenport.

"Good question Ms. Hathaway. For this week we will continue with the work I'm assuming you've all been studying." Placing his hands in his pockets he eyes the room as some people fidget and squirm in their seats, "But I will be sending out another towards the end of this week."

"Do I have any other questions?" Professor Davenport asks. His gaze falls on me again and I look down once more to avoid it. "Right then, I do believe you all were supposed to begin reading Waverley by Walter Scott, We'll start there."