Ten

After a night of tossing and turning, I finally fall asleep only for a door closing down the hall to wake me up. I jump out of the grandiose golden bed with satin sheets and throw back the heavy emerald curtains covering a tall arched window. The orange glow of the early morning sun is breaking the horizon. Stigian looks magnificent even without the blue, green, and red lights beaming from the tall buildings. The streets are empty of citizens in their bright, flashy attire, and the destruction from yesterday is gone. Even the brilliant veil of dawn can't hide Stigian's grandeur.

I imagine like me, Khiros and Cyffreds alike found it difficult to sleep after yesterday's attack. They thought they were safe within the tall, thick walls of Stigian, and never considered someone would sneak through their defenses, especially after Lucent's failed attack almost a year ago. They couldn't have been more wrong, and the safety they felt has vanished.

With the absence of security in Stigian comes the same fear for Lucent. I spent hours last night praying my family is safe, the palace was enough to keep Borin and Leif protected, and the people of Lucent haven't fallen victim to the cruel attacks of the Allaji. I'm eager to hear from the guards Micah sent ahead of us. My nerves won't calm until I know my kingdom is unharmed.

I rifle through the trunk Salone packed for me. At the time, I thought it was unnecessary. What was I going to need these dresses and delicate shoes for? We were supposed to spend the night at a military camp close to the Stigian border after the anointment. It was a trip which should have taken only a full day and didn't require five gowns. It just goes to show how a princess should prepare for anything.

I choose the dress with the fewest embellishments—a red gown with a wide neckline which sits off my shoulders, and a slit in the front that comes dangerously close to showing parts of me which are better left a secret. I gather my hair on the top of my head in a heap of waves framing my face and accentuate the back of my neck. With a light hand, I apply my makeup and rest my crown on top of my head. I step back from the full-length mirror on the wall, looking for any signs of imperfections. Freckles dust the bridge of my nose and cheeks and the liner I drew around my brown eyes makes them look darker than normal. I fidget with the clingy material of the dress, making sure it hugs me in all the right places. It isn't what I would have normally chosen for a meeting of this magnitude, but it will work.

I step out of my room and find Zek sitting in a chair outside my door. He's tilted the front legs from the ground with his head against the wall and his arms crossed over his chest. He opens one eye and looks up at me. "Trying to outdo the Stigian queen, I see."

"Working with the ridiculous wardrobe my sister packed for me. Why is she so opposed to me wearing pants?" I say, moving down the hall, my guard scurrying to his feet to follow me.

"Maybe she wants you to look more like a queen instead of a girl who spends her days sword fighting with sibyls and whipping their asses."

I smile and glance at him from the corner of my eye. "I am amazing at sparring."

"Overconfident is what you are. You just didn't have the right partner to challenge you."

"And I'm sure you think you could be that challenger." I lift a brow, descending the stairs to the second floor. "Talk about overoptimistic."

"I think of it as self-aware."

We stop at a set of double doors where Kyron's guard along with another stand at attention. I can't help but to smile at the mountain of a man who selflessly watches over his prince. He was determined to help Kyron yesterday, pulling the wood from his shoulder and practically carrying him to the safe room. The guard was even there when I lost control and overpowered the prince. I may not like who he serves, but I respect the way he cares for his keep.