#17 Ruins & a Road to Home

"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in."

— Haruki Murakami

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

It was a little easy to guess what's going on in Mishti's mind but the actual scene is too terrifying to believe, at least for Abir. Because Nishant seems nearly unbothered when they reach Yash Singhaniya's mansion in Rajkot.

"Are you sure she'd do that?'

"Well, I can only guess. That's her tried strategy which never failed." Nishant smirks, "Back in Canada we did this many times."

"I can't believe this! You two are next to criminals."

"It's your job to save us before we get arrested. Now don't make a sound."

Abir doesn't. He has nearly lost all his words just by listening to Nishant's narration of his and Mishti's adventures that basically included bullying, partying, sneaking out of the house, punishing people for God-knows-why etc. Never in his life he imagined doing such a thing but here he is. Only the Lord knows what else is awaiting.

Climbing over the wall and knocking down the security guards, now he's standing, no almost hanging from the terrace of the Singhaniya Mansion. Abir finally catches his breath after they successfully step inside the house. But this was just the beginning.

"You're not doing that Mishti. No."

They can hear the sobs of a woman and a man's pleading voice and it doesn't take them a second to understand what's happening.

"Hey, that's Dad. Is Mish already here? Of course she is. Fuck."

"I just hope we're not late."

Abir and Nishant manage to reach the hall only to nearly get a heart attack. There she is - the wounded lioness - Mishti Agarwal holding a gun pointing at Yash Singhaniya whereas his wife is on the floor.

"And you said she might use just some poison again? What's this?" Abir questions Nishant who is totally dumbfounded by the sight in front of him.

"What the hell are you doing Mishti?" Abir screams in terror startling both Mishti and Yash.

"Have you lost your senses? What are you going to do? You're not a murderer, for God's sake put that gun down. What are you doing?" Abir runs toward her.

"Don't come near me Abir. Stay out of this. I know how to handle this bastard."

"Do you even know what you are doing? Mishti --"

"Mom!" Nishant runs towards the woman lying on the floor.

"STOP. RIGHT. THERE." The harshness in her voice makes Abir freeze.

"What do you think I'm doing here? Can't you see what this man has turned me into? This isn't me, I know I'm bad but not so much to take someone's life away. But don't you dare interfere in this Abir. Stay away."

"Exactly Mishti. And this is not the way to do it. Put that gun down, we've other ways to confront or punish. Mishti please, you might hurt someone."

"SHUT UP. Not someone, I'll hurt this man, this man who destroyed everything I ever had, he destroyed my mom, he killed her. He destroyed me. He has lived enough."

Mishti is in a rage and Abir doesn't know what to do. He expected to witness some horrible scene but this is beyond his nightmares. By now Abir clearly knows nothing can stop Mishti but he needs to do something, he can't let her become a criminal.