#18 Aftermath & Rearrangements

"We held our cards, built them high
But way too close to the light,
So, turn your head and let us go,
I'll learn to breathe on my own.
And our paper houses reach the stars,
'Til we break and scatter worlds apart.
Yeah, I paid the price and own the scars,
Why do we climb and fall so far?"

— "Paper Houses" // Niall Horan

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

Mishti couldn't gather herself to face Abir. It was too difficult to even step outside and face the world. It's never just her or Abir, it never was. For a moment she forgot how this was going to be the hot topic all across the news. It was dreadful to step outside alone only to be surrounded by the cameras and reporters screaming on the top of their lungs. Eventually the situation started to disgust Mishti. She never expected her mother's death to become a juicy drama for the media nor did she want her emotions and sentiments being played out loud with the added spice. There was a moment when she thought of publishing a public statement and shut it all down.

Until Abir Rajvansh did that for her.

"So Miss Mishti Agarwal has an appointment with Abir Rajvansh today? Finally after a week?" Nishant snapped Mishti back to the moment.

"An appointment. Yeah."

"You don't sound happy though."

"Is there anything to be happy about?"

"At least you guys will be talking. For me that's more than enough to celebrate."

"I don't even know what he'll be talking about, Nishant. I know nothing. I don't even know when I booked an appointment to talk to him."

"Your father did that. But you've the option to not go, you know."

"What? Why?"

"He wants your good Mish, you can't even ignore him anymore. After all the chaos. Especially now when trials are going on and you need him to testify in the court. By the way, are you going to Abir or not?"

"Gotta think about it."

"Great." Nishant pulls Mishti along with him and doesn't leave her hand until they're sitting in his car.

"You need to do this Mish, you can't escape it."

~~~

Mishti is shocked to find Vishambhar Maheshwari sitting in Abir's cabin. More shocked she is to see him smiling.

A genuine heartwarming smile.

A smile she seems to have lost somewhere fighting God-knows-what.

"Good to see you, Miss Agarwal."

So this is how it is going to be. They're on professional terms now. What else did she expect?

"Good to see you too, Mr. Rajvansh."

"Please have a seat if you're done shooting daggers with your eyes."

Mishti didn't realise she'd been staring at Vishambhar too long. It was embarrassing, okay. She takes her seat uncomfortably as Abir begins the talk on (again) God-knows-what.

"First things first. The case has been transferred to the state legal agency of the state of Canada because the case of Rajshree Agarwal's death was investigated there. To reopen the case, you both need to be present there physically and rest Miss Agarwal knows the law. There will be a team to aid you throughout the whole process and I believe Canadian laws are more strict and prompt than Indian judiciary anyways, so justice will be surely ensured. Especially now that we've proper proofs and the self testimony of the culprit so there won't be much of a hassle. But again, Miss Agarwal, you know the Canadian law better than me. I've booked your tickets already and I think the sooner we're done with the trials the better."