Chapter 7

It was sad, really, that I had such a hard time deciding what to wear for a girls' night out

It was sad, really, that I had such a hard time deciding what to wear for a girls' night out. Well, what constituted a girls' night out in Neptune Bay, which included meeting up for food and drinks at Mara's house before hitting up The Watering Hole.

The summer dresses in my closet felt too fancy, and with the humidity that stuck around late into the evenings, jeans felt like they'd be too constricting. It was a conundrum, made worse by the fact that my dad had been right yesterday when he'd more or less told me that I needed to get a life. I hadn't really hung out with any of my friends in the last year—too stuck in my own grief and new routine that I'd failed to accept the olive branches they'd offered in support.

Tonight was the first step in changing that.

After trying on more outfits than I cared to admit, I settled on a maroon romper that'd been hanging in the back of my closet and paired it with a pair of gold sandals. It had three-quarter length sleeves, cinched at the waist, and cut off just above mid-thigh. Plus, it was super breathable and easy to move around in, which boded well for a warm summer night.

Deciding that I might as well go all out, I curled my hair loosely before styling it into a half-up half-down ponytail, and then applied a bit more makeup than I normally would. Some extra bronzer, eyeliner, and a nude lipstick brought out my features, and when I took a step back and looked in the mirror once I was done, I recognized the woman as someone who'd been hiding but was ready to step back out into the world

And I felt good.

Grabbing a clutch to store my phone, keys, and wallet, I veered into my kitchen to grab the bottle of rosé I'd stuck in the fridge after work, and then made my way over to Mara's.

All the while trying to ignore the butterflies in my stomach and the small voice in the back of my end warning me an awkward night was in store.

Half a mile on foot wasn't exactly long enough to completely ward off my nerves, though the fresh air certainly helped. By the time I reached the front steps, I took a few seconds to myself, breathing out slowly before bringing my hand up to knock.

The door opened a moment later, revealing a partially surprised, but grinning Mara with a wine glass in hand. "Hey girl! Glad you could make it."

Laughs and music trickled out of the house, telling me I was likely one of the last to arrive.

"Thanks for the invite," I replied, already eased marginally by her greeting as I held up the bottle in my hands. "I brought wine."

"You and just about everyone else," she mused while accepting the present. "But still, thank you. Come on—" Stepping aside, she waved me in. "—I'll pour you a glass."

Following her, all eyes turned our way when we rounded the corner into her open concept living area.

"Look who's here," Mara said to the room, waving her hand my way and everyone was quick to offer a myriad of greetings.