Chapter 21: One Pot of Jumbled Jambalaya, Please

Dedicated to my main babe, unoriginalkatia!

 ---

Chapter 21: One Pot of Jumbled Jambalaya, Please

I crossed my arms making it extremely obvious that I was annoyed with Luke. I had to bite my lower lip to keep from blowing up at him and causing a scene to try and calm myself down. After all, I didn't want his parents to become involved too. "Yeah, that."

"I...I can explain."

"Alright, go on. Explain."

"Okay..." He sighed dejectedly. "I can't."

I nodded stiffly, "I see."

I turned to leave, but he grabbed my arm and whipped me around so I was looking at him again. "No, Charlie. I don't think you do. Sleeping with Emma meant nothing to me. I didn't plan on it. This wasn't just a scheme. It's not like I was seducing her. It just...happened."

"The point is that you still slept with her! You were conscious, it's not like you were drugged. And you most definitely weren't raped." I spat out the last word, putting all of my disgust remembering my personal experience with that one five letter word.

"It was an accident," he mumbled out.

"Yeah, because taking your pants off and sticking your thing in her was a total accident. Because taking part in these games was an accident. Everything seems to be an accident with you! You told me you were done with that."

"I am. You have to believe me!"

I added in a softer voice, "Will I just be another accident to add to the list, Luke?"

Luke looked around frantically, trying to find anything to help make me believe him, "Charlie, you could never be a mistake. But if you are considered one, then you'd be the best and most beautiful mistake of my life. I need you and want you. You make the world beautiful..."

"These days, Luke, I don't know what to believe." I turned away from him slightly, unable to look into his pleading eyes.

He cupped my face with his slightly-warmer-than-room-temperature hands, stroking his thumb against my right cheek. "Believe me. Believe that I would never want to intentionally hurt you. Believe that you're the only girl for me."

A sad smile crossed my face. I sniffled. "You don't know how much I want to believe that, Luke. If only things were different."

"What can I do to prove it to you? I'll do anything."

"It's too late for that. You shouldn't have done anything in the first place or at least told me. We could've avoided this."

"I know...and I'm sorry. So very sorry."

There was a suffocating silence surrounding us. He didn't say anything else and neither did I.

"Were you even going to tell me?" I whispered, not daring to make eye contact with him because I knew there would be a big chance I was going to breakdown in front of him.

He scratched the back of his neck nervously, a tight grimace etched across his face. "I was planning to."

I sighed, suddenly tired of all of this. "What's your excuse, Luke?" I asked wearily.

"I guess I never really got around to it."

Anger flared throughout me. "You...you never got around to it?" I sputtered in disbelief. "You've had plenty of chances to tell me."

"I didn't know how to tell you! I just couldn't find the right words."

"That's because there were no right words! Unless you're in love with Emma, you can't really justify what you did."