Chapter 30: Baby Hearts Aren't As Cute As You

Banner by hearttea

 ---

Chapter 30: Baby Hearts Aren't As Cute As You

The kiss was quick and a minute had passed: 12:01. I opened my eyes to see who had stolen my first kiss of the new year. Expecting to see a grinning Lucas, a smirking Ian, or even a smug but scowling Tyler, I was repulsed to see feminine eyes staring back at me. Without even considering the mystery woman's feelings or thinking about how she would react, I wiped the kiss off with the side of my fist.

She raised an eyebrow. "Homophobic much?"

"Only when it comes to my own lips," I stammered.

She touched her heart and made a pouty face. "You hurt me. And I'm sure Beckett wouldn't approve," she added.

"Wouldn't he?"

"I'm sure kissing and sleeping with all of those girls sickened him."

"Yeah. He's a strong person."

"You know, I don't know why he even went through with the whole ordeal. Anyways, he'd be disappointed in you."

I made a face and shrugged my shoulders so my head was cushioned between the two blades. "I don't even know you."

"That doesn't mean I don't know you. Charlotte."

I narrowed my eyes. "Who are you?"

A tipsy Emma appeared, teetering from foot to foot. She slung her shoulder over the unnamed girl, giggling uncontrollably. "Hey, Becca."

"Emma!" she squealed, pecking her cheek voraciously.

I pointed between the both of them. "You two know each other?"

Becca nodded, throwing her head back and laughing. "Emma's my lover!"

I sent a questioning look to Emma. "What is she talking about?"

Emma slapped Becca's face playfully. "You're such a liar, Bec." She looked at me. "She's not my lover. Trust me. I am not lesbian."

"But I am," Becca cut in.

"And there's nothing wrong with that," Emma said.

"You've got that right," Becca said.

"Just because you're lesbian does not mean you have the right to kiss girls that aren't! Especially unsuspecting ones."

"You kissed back."

"I thought you were a guy."

"It was one kiss! It's not like I've got some lesbian disease."

Emma stood quietly between us but not as a barricade. She listened to our hopefully brief banter and remained neutral.

"I didn't say you did!" I protested.

"What? Do you think that kiss is going to flip you from straight to gay?"

"If it did, then, honey, you were never straight to begin with."

I so badly wanted to glare at her, but if I did it would've meant that she'd won. The amount of scorn and annoyance I felt towards her was unbelievable considering I had kissed her only moments ago.

"Hey, Charlotte," I heard Ian say before he planted a kiss on my cheek. "Sorry I wasn't here at midnight. I couldn't find you with this sea of people between us."

"I wish you had found me."

He nodded. "Me too."

During this time, Emma and Becca had slipped away, leaving us alone.