Chapter 34: Candles and Love Handles

Sooo, I know it's supposed to be winter, but I forgot that while writing this chapter. I know, I suck. Let's pretend it's summer, okay? :)

---

Chapter 34: Candles and Love Handles

After my kiss with Luke, I couldn't stop smiling even if my life depended on it. My heart had swelled and the love I had for Luke returned in no time. His lips were soft and foreign, and all I wanted to do was familiarize myself with the side of him that was never in reaching distance for me. I spent the next week walking on air and found myself constantly daydreaming about our future. Dad said I had the swooning blues; Emma (Luke was still a shaky topic for us to talk about) could tell I was as infatuated as ever; and Luke was just there. He, too, had a smile on his face whenever we were together.

However, this honeymoon period did not last long. By the time February  rolled around, Luke was growing more distant than I would've liked and made no attempt to ask me out for Valentine's Day dinner. When the thirteenth came, I was sure that I wouldn't, again, have a valentine. It wasn't heartbreaking, but I just thought that with all of the commotion that surrounded me I would have a date for tomorrow night. Since my night with Luke, the members of the Top Four carried on with their everyday business, but then the bad boy just had to mix things up.

"I know this is last minute, and you're probably going with Luke, but I was wondering if you wanted to be my valentine? This includes dinner, by the way."

I knew it wouldn't be fair to Luke if I accepted, but I would never get an opportunity to have another valentine if Luke and I were to be together for the rest of our lives. I felt like I needed one last fling (just to be sure) before I actually made a decision on him. I did like Tyler, not as much as Luke, but I had fun with him. "Will this dinner be McDonald's?"

He shook his head. "No fast food this time, but I can add a toy if you'd like," he said, winking.

I laughed. "That's not necessary. I would love to be your valentine, Tyler."

"Don't worry, Charlotte. It'll be perfect."

I wasn't sure what his definition of perfect was, but I couldn't wait to see.

***

I may have underestimated Luke's romantic abilities. I felt bad because he came over to my window, threw plastic bottle caps at the window until I opened, and asked me, while holding a single rose, to be his valentine. Needless to say, it was a tad bit awkward when I told him I was going out with someone else on the fourteenth.

"Are you serious?" he demanded, outraged.

"He asked me first! It's not like we're exclusive or anything."

"I thought it was a given! I didn't know you wanted a title."

"Well I thought you wanted the title of the Virginator."

He recoiled and winced at the word. I had clearly offended him. "You know that I've dropped out of the competition."

"You can't just 'drop out,' Luke."

"I know, but I'm not doing this because of the stupid title. I'm doing this because I want you."

"And you will have me once this school year is over."

"I have to wait the entire school year?!"

"It's three months."

"Three months too long."

"Don't be a baby," I muttered. "I waited three years for you to even look at me than something other than a sister."

"You should've said something earlier. It's not my fault you didn't have the guts."