Chapter 17 : Revelations

╔═.✵.══════════╗
Some truths cannot be
hidden forever.
MJ
╚══════════.✵.═╝

The girls are mad at me today. After all their efforts the night before, I didn't follow their recommendations.

Looks like I mixed up the top and bottom of different outfits, something to do with textures and colours clashing and blah blah blah.

Somebody save me!!!
I wish inwardly, but I keep smiling like the fool I am.

'Don't get carried away... Put up your barrier before you do something stupid...'
Jumping a little, I remember our telepathic channel. It always takes me by surprise and it's been weeks since we use it. Will I ever get used to it?

Filling my belly with air, I focus on the bright side of things. After all, I have plenty of nice designer clothes now and I am not a shadow lingering through the halls. The air held in my body heats up, I exhale. Now, I am among the elite. Keeping in mind my lessons, I breathe again. People look differently at me and I never struggle to find a teammate in class. For once, I don't standalone in pitying my life.

After school, Lina was already waiting for me for my magic class with Lina.

Today has to be different, I bite my inner cheek, I will make it, even if Lina is around. I need to stand for myself.

"Please come with me. I have to hand out some resumes. Tom is still after me and I want to work. Please give me a hand."

Worse, soon it will be two months of depending on someone and I hate that.

She walks without a word, and I follow her, knowing I have little choice. I am no match for her.

I never have time to be alone. Sometimes I wonder if it's on purpose, but I end up rejecting the idea in the back of my mind.

The wind is especially cold tonight, which makes me wrap my arms around my chest.

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I want to make Mom proud when we see each other. I can't wait any longer. I need a job!

"You coming up?" My mental rant comes to a stop.

Blinking twice, I notice where we are. With a wide smile, I jump into the front seat.

This was gonna be a fast run, knowing exactly where I was to drop my resumes at the mall. I know my way around now since we come so often with the rich kids.

Never underestimate a determined woman. While they were chatting and fooling around, I was making plans for my future and it was today!

Julie, her face comes to mind. One day she wanted clothes for her doll, bought at a yard sale. Of course, we couldn't afford it, but I found a piece of fabric on the side of the road. I spent many evenings working on it, and in the end, I made a complete wardrobe for Dollie. This Christmas would be different.

Back at the car after walking around and filling out so many forms, I sit in the passenger seat again, a smile of contentment on my face and a pinch on my heart.

By the window to my right, I see my emotions materialize on my face.

I wonder why Luc and Julie haven't got to me. This is not normal.

Why does Mom keep them away from me? I only hope to work hard enough to prove to her that everything she needs to be proven.

Feeling the need to get my head out of these thoughts and avoid causing an unfortunate event, I turn to Lina.

"So, have you known Anna and Lili for long?" My finger twists around a strand of my hair, knowing that this is any of my business, but I notice too many things that fell off between them.