Chapter 25 - Hidden Desire

A week passed. Athanasia was in the carriage that would take her directly to the Alpheus. With her dagger taped to her thigh, a jaded look on her face and frustration glued to it, she sighed for the umpteenth time against the window, looking out at the morning landscape. Lilian turned back to her.

"Princess? We'll be there soon. Just a little bit of patience. Are you hungry?"

"No, Lily, I'm not hungry. But I would much rather have stopped our trip to the Robane's." She folded her legs together and massaged the back of her neck. "I really don't want to see that white dog's face again."

"I was sure you were going to say that." Carsein crossed his arms behind his head and gritted his teeth. "I never felt comfortable there. It feel like I'm being spied on with every move I make."

"I know that, let's just finish things up there and go home." She closed her eyes again and enjoyed the quiet time she had left before landing in the residence that housed the royal family's demon.

"Blessings and Glory upon the Obelian Empire, Your Highness."

"Long time no see, Duke Alpheus. Is your son absent?" The tone of her voice meant everything; she was simply asking out of politeness but didn't care in the least.

"Ijekiel is at the Palace right now."

"Oh? With Jeanette then? I'm glad to see their relationship is still going strong, aren't you the same?" The duke frowned slightly.

"Indeed, Jeanette and Ijekiel have always been together."

"Is that so?" Athanasia got a petty smile. "But tell me, I can't even see your shadow at the palace anymore if it's only for meetings. You don't come to see your niece as much as you used to, is there a problem?"

The Duke's jaw tightened. The reason he didn't come to see Jeanette as much as he used to was mainly because he didn't need to give her advice on how to be a crown princess anymore; she would never be one anyway. But nevertheless, he could never completely sever his ties with her. She was still his niece, and as much as he would like to deny it, he was her uncle and the one who had raised her. Their bond wasn't as strong as the one with Ijekiel, but it was strong enough that it wouldn't break so easily.

"I'm the one who personally takes care of my son's education. Going to the palace requires much time, because of this, I prefer to exchange with Jeanette via letters."

"Oh? Really? You see me reassured." She then looked at the time on her watch. "It's not that I'm bored, but I'd like to drop by your office as soon as possible." She held back a sigh. She had been coming for three years, but unlike the other dukes, he seemed completely brainless.

To allow himself to make her wait at the entrance like that when the others weren't wasting her time... She didn't wait for his answer and walked past him, Lilian and Carsein on her heels.

Nothing else was exchanged. She waited for him in front of his office with impatience, impatience that he felt because he also held back a sigh. You could be sure, neither of them was comfortable with each other.

Once finished, she left the office and immediately took the direction of the room where she was going to reside. She had already sent Lilian to rest - and had placed a guard behind her door, she didn't want anything to happen to her - and Carsein was watching her every step of the way, even more attentive than usual.

"Hey Carsein."

"Hmm?"

"I don't feel it." Eyes squinting, she frowned. "The Emperor's banquet, I don't feel it at all. Like something's going to happen."