Chapter 30 - Would she kill her if...

"It has been a little while, Lady Calliope." Carsein greeted Calliope with a smile as she took his hand to get out of her carriage. With no response after sending numerous letters to the Ruby Palace, she decided on her own to come to see Athanasia, who had decided to lock herself away at work. "I can see that Elphinny has not followed you."

"I have some private matters to discuss with Athanasia. So I had to leave her and Harrison behind. But if Athanasia doesn't hurry up and answer their letters, they might come here too." The girl sighed, shaking her head slightly.

Carsein chuckled. "They are welcome to come. It's a little gloomy around here." His expression darkened a bit and Calliope understood at once.

"How is she doing?"

"Better than before, I guess? But she seems to be getting further and further away from everything. I don't like that. It's like she's putting a barrier between her and us. If you knew what she said to me two days ago..." When she realized he wasn't going to say anything more, she silently let him direct her to the garden. "Athanasia is working outside today. The maids almost forced her out!" He exclaimed before they passed by the large rose bushes that Lucas had created all those years ago. When a blonde appeared before them, Calliope let go of the guard's hand.

"Athy?" She gasped when she felt her friend's hand on her shoulder. She was so focused on her work that she hadn't heard them.

"Calliope? What are you doing here?"

"If a certain princess hadn't gone into hibernation, maybe I wouldn't be here." Calliope placed both hands on her hips. "Seriously, Athanasia? Ignoring us like that for so long? Of course I was going to come!" As if her adult side was coming out, she began to berate Athanasia. "Besides, I have some important things to discuss with you. In private."

Carsein understood immediately and apologized before disappearing from their vision. Calliope sat in front of her friend with authority despite her body being only 15. One leg over the other, her heel slamming against the table leg, her back glued to the back of the chair, she opened her mouth again.

"I'm sorry I came unannounced, and I was planning to warn you of my visit, but as you know, everyone knows about the sacred name you and the princess are going to receive." Athanasia didn't have time to get a word in as she continued. "And yes, something is coming and I don't like it at all."

This time the princess spoke up, coming straight to the point. "What do you know?"

"The church." Calliope elaborated. "Did you know they came to me?"

"Because of the folk songs? Seriously?"

"Right?" She frowned. "But that's not all. I kind of feel like the church is corrupt."

"You doubt the church? I mean, I know they've never been on my side in the past. That's a fact. And even today, I still feel that same tension. But to the point of thinking that they would be traitors..."

"I'm not saying they are traitors. But that some of them might be on Princess Jeanette's side. If that's the case, they'll do anything to benefit her!" She said, practically pissed off at the situation. Athanasia seemed to think for a few moments before shaking her head negatively.

"Don't worry. No matter what they do, it will be impossible for them to come after me. Besides, they won't have time." Athanasia raised her hand and the next moment a servant appeared before her. "Bring us more refreshments and an extra cup for my guest."

"Yes, Princess." The young woman slipped away and Calliope raised her eyebrows.

"What do you have planned?"