Chapter 7- The Red Room

Dear Kaitlyn,

Dear Kaitlyn,

If you are reading this, I'm dead. I know that you must have a lot of questions and I wish I could be there with you to answer them all but I hope that by writing this letter it will help you understand what I'm about to say. Please know that what I did wasn't because I didn't love you. I did it to protect you. I never wanted to leave you but I needed to make sure that you were safe. You're special, Kaitlyn, and because of that danger would follow you.

Your father made sure that you were taken someplace safe. He is a wonderful man. Thoughtful, caring, handsome. He is everything I ever wanted in a husband. I wish I could tell you more about him but I'm afraid my time is almost up. If you want to know more about him, find Peter Quill, your half-brother. He might be able to help you find the answers you're searching for about your father. I wish things were different for both of us. This isn't the life I had imagined for you. Just know that I love you. Always and forever.

-Resa Evans

Once I had finished reading the letter, tears were streaming down my cheeks. So my mom didn't abandon me. She left me to keep me safe. She gave up everything so that nothing bad would happen to me. I felt bad for all of the horrible things I've said about her in the past about how she never loved me and how much I hated her for leaving me on the streets. I never knew much about my past growing up and now after reading this letter, I have a little bit of an understanding of who my mom is or was. I still had some questions though. Like, who is my father? Is he still alive? And who is my brother? Will I be able to find him?

As I continue to sit on the bathroom floor, I jump when I hear a loud thud. I look up at the window when I see a bright light come through it and stand up. I put my mom's letter in my jacket pocket and walk out of the bathroom. "Nat?" I say. I stop in my tracks when I see Melina standing in the hallway.

"What's happening?" I ask her. She doesn't say anything and raises her arm. A pulse of red energy zaps me and everything goes dark.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I come to, I find myself in a room. I was strapped down on a bed, surrounded by doctors as they examined me. I had on an oxygen mask and the gas inside was making my vision all blurry. I turned my head and could see Yelena strapped on a bed also. A doctor was standing over her as she drew a black line around her skull.

"This is a much less cool way to die." Yelena mutters to herself. As the doctors were preparing the procedure they were going to do on Yelena, they turn their heads when she speaks up. "What?" She says. One of the doctors walk up to her. "What are you going to do to me?"

Suddenly, she pulls out a blade and frees herself from the restraints. She attacks the doctors and runs up to me. She removes the restraints, takes off the oxygen mask and helps me up. With my arm over her shoulder, we both walk out of the room.