Chapter 7

By the time Dexter showed up, I could not have been more excited to get away from the palace and Jasper's insane regime: working out for an hour and half, walking around the grounds for two hours just to check for security breaches, a break to study current global politics, and nearly constant meetings with the staff guards. Part of me feared that Dex arriving wouldn't change anything, but when Zara suggested a local market and taking a tour of the apple orchards, I knew that she would cover for me if Jasper confronted me. in the time I had been here, I learned that my cousin was even more intimidating than I remembered, but she was not a force to be taken lightly. One cold look from her was enough to make him shut his mouth and back down most of the time.

"You look a little worn out," Dex commented when we climbed into one of the Fiats that Zara had in her fleet.

"Thanks."

He let out a little laugh before brushing his thumb along my jawline, bringing my eyes to his. "That's not what I mean. I just need to make sure you're taking care of yourself."

The words wouldn't come to my tongue for a moment, my brain more focused on the roughness of his fingers against my face and the intent expression on his features. Finally, I eased back and cleared my throat. "It's part of the job. This is just something I have to deal with."

A comfortable silence filled the car as we drove down the winding road in the coupe. I distracted myself with digging around in my purse for directions. I was just stressed, that was all. That was the only reason I felt something had changed. Dexter was still his steady self with his copper-coloured eyes and his easy demeanor. Whatever I was feeling for him would surely pass.

But when he took a corner a little too quickly, causing the tires to squeal, my attention darted right back to him. As much as he loved his racing and the thrill of speed, he was always respectful when driving other people's vehicles and never drove too fast on public roads. In fact, Dex was a five-kilometer-under kind of guy.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Someone is following us," he replied, slipping through a late yellow light and taking a random exit that was definitely was not on my map.

I craned my neck immediately and sure enough, there was another fiat in the lineup of cars at the lights. With a snort, I melted back into the seat. "Zara's security team, I imagine. We are something of esteemed guests. But maybe you can give them driving lessons so they can keep up," I teased.

Dexter just shot me a smile and placed his hand on my thigh, giving it what was supposed to be a comforting squeeze. Too bad heated jetted up my leg, hitting me straight in my core, boiling in my belly. I couldn't stop thinking at the weight resting on my leg and what would happen if that hand slipped just a little higher.

Christ, I needed a lay, bad.

The little market in town was a nice way to experience Zara's country and the perfect way for me to tame the heat that was boiling under my skin. We ate like never before, everything from crepes to cheese soufflé to soda bread and fresh shellfish. It was a strange blend of cuisine since we were so close to France and Ireland, like someone had drawn one line from Cork and another line from Brest. Where they intersected is where Zara ruled. We drank fine wines, but also slammed heavy beers. Dex could pretend that he was laid back and easy, but he was secretly a foodie who definitely took advantage of the opportunity at hand.

By the time we made it to one of the famous apple orchards, we were so full we could barely move. With the sun sauntering towards the horizon, Dex let out a groan and flopped down on the side of a hill. Like I always would, I stepped between his legs and sat down, leaning back against his chest. But had it always been so strong? Had his arms always been this muscular when they wrapped around my shoulders?

"I kind of can't believe I'm going to a royal wedding," Dex murmured.

"Oh?"

"I mean, I know that this isn't really out of the norm for you. Since we have been kids you and your family has been doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Dinners with prime ministers, private access to political meetings, flying all over the country for everything and anything. But for a normal person, this is a lot to take in. I had to buy a suit. Hell, I haven't worn a suit since my graduation from high school. It seems crazy that this is a part of my life."

"Well, it happens when your best friend is digging and clawing to be a government agent. Once I actually get a position, we will be regular globe trotters." With the words, my chest tightened. Even here, among all of the gorgeous trees, listening to bees buzz in blossoms while watching the sunset with my best friend, I felt ill. What if I didn't make it? This was supposed to be an easy assignment, but maybe it was going to be too easy, maybe it wouldn't put me on the radar like I expected. What would I do then?

"Hey." Arms squeezed my shoulders, warm breath close to my ear. "As long as you're happy, I'm happy. I don't care much for wearing suits, maybe we can just travel together, from hostel to hostel, living on a budget."

"But what will I even do if this doesn't work out? I can't keep taking class and hope that someone will notice me eventually. At this point, Alistair was already an accomplished agent and Jasper was being scouted by the top sectors within the agencies."

"There's other jobs in this world."

"But this is what I was born for," I pressed, feeling my frustration growing.

Fingers tucked my hair behind my ear, the gesture so innocent and kind. Just like Dexter had always been. "One step at a time, Lonny." 

~~~Question of the Day~~~

Have you ever had a crush on a cartoon or animated character?