Chapter 3

Granville Estate
Shrewsbury, England
The Duke's study

The next morning came and when the Duke of Richmond awoken, he realized he had slept nearly half past noon

The next morning came and when the Duke of Richmond awoken, he realized he had slept nearly half past noon. That was his most usual time for arousing, after all sleep was one thing that never managed to elude him. Francis Audley slept harder than a grizzly bear hibernating in the wintertime and to make matters worse it was paired with a discontinuous snore.

He wasn't even surprised that Jasper or any of the house servants hadn't bothered to wake him either, even if they all had tried, even possibly all at the same time, he knew he most likely wouldn't have heard them. He had slept just that hard.

That's why he didn't notice his parents ship him off on in a carriage to Shrewsbury in the first place. He had thought to himself while tumbling out of the thick folds of silk velvety sheets. As if reading his mind there was the slightest knock on the door. He already had in mind from whom it might possibly could be.

"Come in Jasper." He said in a deep husky tone. Not even a split second after his accompanying vallet, Jasper entered the Duke's bed chambers.

"Good afternoon, your grace. A bath and dress should you ever ask?" Jasper said clasping his hands together worrisomely like he had been waiting all morning by his grace's bedroom door for the Duke to awaken. The Duke then caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He'd looked like a man that hadn't bathed in a few days. He didn't like that feeling, his appearance always seemed tidy and well kept, but mostly original. He knew he was well overdoing for both. Without further arguments he nodded to Jasper with a sly smile. He knew him well.

After the Duke had bathed and shaved inevitably Jasper helped him dress in a velvety black napoleon men's suit with bronze buttons and fancy gold embroidery on the seams and coat sleeves with a deep golden colored jacquard vest paired with a white satin shirt and dark colored breeches underneath.

After taking another look in the mirror and feeling much more like himself but realized something was missing. His father's lucky black hat. It was somewhat worn and a little weathered, but it was his father's. The Duke placed that hat on his head without further ado, then he decided, well his stomach actually that he was presumably well past gut foundered.

The Duke ventured off downstairs to the lunchroom. He never understood why there were so many rooms just to eat. It was a frustrating task, he hadn't a clue where the lunchroom was, but his instincts suddenly had him following the smell of uncured bacon. All the way to the kitchen.

"Your grace, ?!" Amy jumped frightened. She had seemed like the fragile type to be easily frightened. She was a little more than overweight as well he observed. "Pardon me, your grace. You must be quite starved. I shall escort you to the day room. Where your lunch may be served."

"Yes, of course." He said in the same husky manner from when he had awoken. Amy had escorted him to the 'day' room as she called it. The duke had never heard such a thing. Verdie held out his chair as he took a seat at the elongated wooden table and poured the Duke a glass of rum without question. Verdie had already had the latest newsletter of the London times and a case of cigars setting on a side table for when His Grace would ever ask.