Chapter 2 - Church Pews

"So ah," I started, sitting on a metal benchtop. My ankle rested atop my foot as I awkwardly stretched my legs out, strumming my fingers nervously on the countertop. "Why'd you come back?"

Of the fifteen, just two of the boxes burst open and spilled their contents everywhere. Liam and I worked together to divide them correctly and check them off in the inventory checklist. Liam was focusing hard since there were mere minutes until the school bell was due to ring. Though I wanted to help more, Liam insisted that I go back and have lunch. He insisted, but I didn't exactly listen. I was hanging out with my hero, which was way better than eating or really any basic human needs. I didn't budge.

"I wrapped the game up quickly so I could get back here," he answered, not really focusing on me or the question. "Just as well I did, how could one tiny person be so clumsy?"

I almost sulked. It was a little bit of a trainwreck situation, but I really wanted him to go out and enjoy his game like he did every day. Even if I didn't get to watch him in action this time, just knowing I could help him get to where he wanted was plenty enough for me. Even if he came in at the wrong time, I knew I still did a good job anyway. I was proud of myself.

"I couldn't reach," I murmured. "I wanted to do a good job, I'm sorry."

Liam placed the clipboard down on a box, then reached into a corner of the shelves. He pulled out a small stepping stool and unfolded it, gesturing towards it like Will Smith did with his wife. My mouth clamped shut, mortified at the fact that I hadn't even tried to look for a proper stool or ladder. That entire debacle was completely avoidable if I'd just used a couple more of the braincells that God supplied for me.

"Sorry," I apologised again, looking at the ground.

Liam paused, dropping the stool back into the corner as he cocked his head to look at me. He stood up and came over to lean on the benchtop beside me. The bell rang loudly, making us both jump with surprise, but neither of us left in a hurry.

"You watch us play at lunch heaps, right?" he asked.

It was more specifically him that I watched play at lunch, but he didn't exactly need to hear that. "Yes," I nodded.

"You like soccer?"

Not really! I just like seeing you play! I shrugged and looked away, unable to say much more than this. Instead, I opted to try and change the topic. "What score did you get today, by the way? You won, right?"

"Of course," he said with a grin. "Four-two. I cut it short, so they could've caught up eventually, but I felt like I had to get back here."

I nodded and swung my feet. Worried we'd fall into silence, I racked my brain for something else to talk about instead. "Why did you have to do this job anyway? Detention?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Extra credit to make up for the fact that I flunked science midterms."

"So it was voluntary?" I asked, relieved that nothing happened to warrant his punishment.

"That's a strong word in this circumstance," he chuckled, "But more or less, yes."

We went quiet for a moment, neither one of us getting up nor attempting to head to our next classes. Liam looked over at me occasionally, but mostly hung his head over his folded arms on the benchtop. It was amazing that he was standing so close to me.

"You're friend's with that Filipino exchange student, right?" he asked. "He looks cool."

"Tristan," I said, nodding. "He's nice."

"Who are your other friends?" Liam asked. "I don't see you around much except on the field at lunchbreaks."

"We have a couple of classes together," I said, glancing over to watch his reaction. He didn't appear to look too surprised at all.