Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“Ugh!”

The moans of exhaustion broke through to the peaceful place Joshua had found in his sleep. Followed by dunking sounds, it reminded him of the noise of a fight going on somewhere. He snapped his eyes open at the possibility they were under attack, jumping to his feet he took a defensive stance before looking towards the sound. A small smile erupted on his face, when he noticed Vega fighting a tree.

Sweat was pouring down on her face, and her hands struck repeatedly towards the tree. Linen was wrapped around her hands for cover so the bark wouldn’t tear her skin from her knuckles. Her red hair flew in all different directions as she kicked and punched the tree with determination. Slowly he walked over to her.

“Perhaps, you should try fighting something that wasn’t inanimate, Vega,” he mumbled in a rough morning voice. Clearing his throat, he waited for her to address him. She stopped punching and turned around, breathing heavily.

“Really? Are you volunteering to get your ass kicked, Joshua?” she asked, sending him a teasing smile.

“I’m not stupid enough to agree to that. I know your powers, remember?” He sent her a knowing look, before walking over to their bags. Squatting down, he grabbed the bottle of water before going back to her.

Vega dried the sweat from her forehead with her wrist, and reached out to take the water that he held out towards her. She took a large sip before throwing it back at him, and then turned back to the tree.

Joshua barely caught the water, but stayed to watch as she punished the three.

“Your stance is slightly off,” he voiced his thoughts.

Vega didn’t spare him a glance; she steadied her legs and continued to focus on the large oak before her, flexing her muscles and panting as the effort once more caught up with her stamina.

“What’s she doing?” a sleepy Eric asked as he walked up next to him.

“Training, I think,” he answered while still keeping his eyes on her.

“For what?” 

Joshua simply sent him a look; Eric knew what the purpose of her training was. Turning his back to them, he went over to the small camp they had sat up the night before.

“Don’t we need to train too?” the question came out in a huff as Eric dumped down beside him.

“I’ve been training most of my life, what about you? Do you have any training?”

“Only the kind I’ve got from being here,” he answered.

Joshua looked over at the guy. Defined muscles showed underneath his shirt, and he was sure that Eric possessed strength along with ingenuity. There was a high possibility that he could have been a warrior back home. In fact, the whole anatomy promised greatness.

“What?” Eric asked as he started to fiddle with his clothes. “Do I have something on me?”

Joshua shook his head.

“Maybe I could train with you, someday,” he suggested after a while and averted his eyes.

“Really? You would do that?”

“There’s nothing wrong with being prepared, and your physique promise great things,” he muttered with a nod.
Secretly Joshua might have liked the fact that even if it were for educational purposes, then it would feel damn exciting to kick Eric’s ass.

“What are you talking about?” Vega interrupted. She went over to sit down; Joshua looked at her winded face and tried to hide a smile.

“Joshua is saying he wants to teach me how to fight,”