50. Payback

Sam had chosen to start his search with the top-most floor containing mostly offices, even if he was sure he'd find nothing there. He was actually certain that the jewels weren't there at all, but it felt foolish not to check before bringing the building down.

All the cubicles and tiny offices he'd encountered had been empty both of people and killer precious stones, so with a sigh, he headed to the lower floor.

This one was painfully familiar as it housed mostly storage spaces for weapons and discarded technology. It also held the corridor he'd paced for hours in front of one office, at first dreading having to go in, then dreading that he would find it locked.

First, he searched the storage spaces, even if he knew he'd find nothing. Then, he headed further down towards the dark wood door which one held the inscription for doctor Skye Brandon.

Even if Skye had quit the moment they'd gotten engaged and Sam was well aware that a new psychiatrist had been employed, being there still reminded him of her. After all, he'd never set foot on that floor since she'd left, never needed help. He'd managed everything on his own, saying goodbye to her included.

He stopped in front of the door and glanced at the new sign. Doctor Ian Patel. Sam had never met him, and yet was about to ransack his office for potential hiding places. As he picked the lock and stepped inside, the knot in his throat only grew.

Doctor Patel had changed the outlay of the office completely, nothing in there reminiscent of Skye, and yet the discomfort Sam felt stayed as he searched. He was too aware of everything that had happened in that room, of Skye's words and her actions. How they hated each other before they fell in love.

That room should mean nothing, it would go down with the rest of the building. And yet... Sam felt a sense of unexplained relief when he found nothing and exited the room. He didn't have to linger there any longer and they could finally cross this place off their list. Unless Jimmy found something in Keeves' office, but he doubted it. He would've let them know by now.

He checked his watch and headed down the stairs. They didn't have much time left and it was dangerous to stay more than necessary even if the building was almost empty. And yet, he couldn't help but falter at the entrance leading to their floor, the place they'd worked for so many years, foolishly believing they were doing the world some good.

Like in a trance, he made his way down the hall to the office which used to belong to Herrison. Of course, it no longer belonged to their coordinator, to the only man within the Agency who had looked out for them and wanted to see them succeed and still be safe, whole.

It now belonged to his son, a man Sam had no interest in saving. But for some reason, he couldn't just walk away, even if he wasn't sure what he wanted to say to his former best friend, if anything at all.

But the door of the office was open and Harry sat alone at his desk, mindlessly scrolling through something, his cheek in his hand. He wore a black suit, white shirt ensemble, as always, and seemed to have gone through a few sleepless nights.

The sight of him stirred mixed feelings inside Sam. That bored expression was too familiar and reminded him of classes and how Harry would almost fall asleep during the ones he didn't like because he could always count on Sam to explain it to him later.

They'd always had this dynamic. Harry having the social news, Sam paying attention in class for both of them. And it never annoyed him before, but now, being an adult, he realized that Harry had always avoided the things he didn't like, be it boring classes or hard to swallow truths. And it only made Sam want to shove a giant bitter pill down his throat.

He leaned his shoulder against the doorframe and spent another few seconds simply glancing at Harry. This lack of awareness would get him killed in the field in no time. If he lived, would the higher ups send Harry to hunt them down? Could he do it? Sam's guess was no. But he wasn't here to admire his former best friend or take a ride down memory lane. There was a certain bit of payback he wanted to deliver, so he knocked on the jamb.