52. Failed Projects

One year later

It had taken a lot of work and a lot of patience, but they'd finally found it.

Ironically enough, the ruby missing from the vault in Washington DC was neither planned, nor intentional, just a coincidence since it had been taken out for studying. Unfortunately, once the rest of the jewels had disappeared, the Counters had upped their game and made the jewel vanish.

It had taken a lot of inner spying and many painful interrogations conducted by Eye Patch to finally bring them the most basic information they needed: where it was.

Still in DC, in the depths of the new compound, protected better than the rest of them ever were, because now they finally realized what they were really up against. The new, flattering policy of no tolerance for Grants had made gauging the security around it even more problematic, but finally, almost one year from their last tango with death, Tom was back at it.

"Not much longer now," Kyle said into his headset.

"I know," he mumbled. "I can actually see the end of the vent."

"Just be careful," Angie said, her voice strained.

Tom gritted his teeth, hating that she was watching this, stressing over his safety. Of course, they couldn't see anything except a dot moving between the lines that mapped the ventilation system.

They'd analyzed the building from every angle and it soon became quite obvious that there was no getting in through the front door. But the room with the ruby did have a ventilation system that made sure it didn't become stuffy given that it was locked up tight. And it was through there Tom decided to crawl in and give it a whirl. After all, they never considered a tiny vent to be dangerous. They also didn't consider how street rats worked. Tom could definitely fit anywhere.

"It should've been me," Jimmy mumbled.

"We've been over this before," Tom said, rolling his eyes. "You or Kyle wouldn't have fit through the vent." And Jerry and Sam didn't even try to pretend they would be better at this than the certified street rat.

"You're coming out," Kyle cut in, obviously meaning to put an end to the discussion rather than give him some very obvious information.

He had a point, though. Tom and Jimmy had argued over this for two whole weeks before Kyle had put his foot down and sent Tom to do it. Because it really was crazy dangerous. Even now, a sickly red light filled the tiny room and laser beams danced in a random pattern they had been unable to crack. The only place which the lasers didn't reach was right above the tiny safe which housed the ruby. He had a a safe spot about the width of his outstretched arms which meant he'd have to go all mission impossible on it and hang upside down from the ceiling.

He'd known that. It was why he was perfect for the job, as much as Jimmy cursed and protested.

"I see the safe," he announced. "I'm going for it."

"Are you sure the lasers won't reach him?" Angie asked, obviously not talking to him.

"He can tell that better than we can at this point," Jimmy answered. "Most form my side were just theoretical calculations."

"I'll be fine, babe," Tom said, fixing his magnet and starting his upside down descent between laser beams. Not like they'd kill him if they touched him. Just sound the alarm and have someone else kill him.

"You need to be really careful," Jimmy said.

"I know, you nag. Or am I actually talking to Jerry?" Tom stopped a foot away from the safe. The laser beams danced around him, but didn't touch him. With careful moves, he reached into his multi-slotted vest and took out the tiny laser the size of a pen.