Sin: part 3 (b)

That's how I got a church date with my ex-boyfriend.

Central City Cathedral. It is the oldest and largest church in this city, located in the center, that's why earning the name. To be honest, there's nothing fascinating about it, if you look closely, you'll see old walls, bricks emerging out, the ceiling on the verge of collapse, the gothic art on large windows seems to be fading, but your beloved God Jesus Christ is standing tall and straight for last seventy years

As an atheist, stepping into a church's territory is quite uneasy for me, but for the sake of solving the case, I'll do that too. No, actually the truth is, I came here because of Joshua, the case is the second reason.

Joshua insisted on buying votive candles, our first expense of this date. I happily paid for him. Walking the aisle, we went toward the altar, he lit up the candles, closed his eyes, and joined his hands in a praying position. He's quite a religious person. What is he praying for? I felt a little awkward so I did the same. Unless I realized that I was praying too, 

O, Lord! Please protect him from every danger.

I sat beside him during the service. "Do we have to attend this?" I whispered annoyingly. He told me to shut up by placing his index finger on his lips.

At the time of uttering 'Amen', he just touched his heart and mouthed the word. 

I couldn't help myself but feel sleepy when the preacher started the sermon. Today's topic, 'The Sin of Silence'. 

"Proverbs 28:13 If you hide your sins, you will not succeed. If you confess and reject them, you will receive mercy..." I could only hear bits of it because soon I fell asleep on his shoulder. Coming to church on a date is never a good idea. When my sleep stirred, I saw Joshua too concentrated on the preacher's words.

"Trying to hide sin from God is like running from your shadow you can never get away. You can't run away from God because he knows everything. Your family and friends might not know about your secret sin, but God knows."

After two hours of wasting my time, I got up to do what I was here for. Everyone started to leave the nave, and I, to search for something unusual here— anything. It got into my habit, detecting faults everywhere. Their features, their gait, women with glasses, men with mustaches, olds with the cane, children holding hands. 

My gaze went to the priest standing at the chancel with some of his pupils. I thought to discuss it with him. Perhaps he knows something. Striding in the crowd, a man's shoulder bumped into me, "Sorry," he said

"You have eyes or buttons?" I glared. Anyways, the priest. He was about to go, "Excuse me? Wait," I said, they turned around. "Uh, good morning, father," 

"Morning, son," He greeted in his polite manner. 

I take out my ID for the proof. "I'm inspector Yoon Jeonghan. Can I take your one minute?"

"Absolutely, officer. You save lives, our time doesn't matter,"

"I'm glad. Uh, actually..." I went closer and showed him the image of the deceased lady on my phone. "Her name was Kim Hye Mi. She passed away about four days ago. Do you... perhaps know her?"

He recognized her face at first glance. "Yes." He confirmed. "She was a kind soul. I was very dejected to hear the tragic news. May her soul rests in heaven,"