Chapter 3

Saya tried to ignore the long stream of curse words that were streaming out of Spera’s lips. It was when Spera called their savior a Snaktlar vasbersmot, she snapped. “Spera before you call the man who just saved our lives names, why don’t you thank him? He could have let those Elves turn us in but instead he saved us! If he wanted us dead he would have killed us already! I’m surprised he hasn’t just slit your throat just for insulting him!” Spera stood shocked at her best friends explosion. The silence around them seemed to suffocate her before it was broken by the strangers laughter. “You find us amusing?” Spera asked. Saya took a step forward so she stood between them, not wanting Spera to start a fight. “You? No. I find you aggravating and intolerable. Your friend here? Yes.” Saya was shocked by his words and found herself blushing. “W-why did you save us? You heard what they said about us, we’re murderers. Killers, assassins. We’re dangerous and now we have a bounty on our heads.” Saya was surprised to hear true curiosity in Spera’s voice instead of her usual hostility. Spera stance was less tense but just as wary. She wasn’t going to fight the stranger, even if she had to. “I’m the Jack of Blades, by the way.” “Spera and this is Saya.” Saya wondered why her friend was not allowing her to speak. Every time Saya opened her lips, Spera had already said what she was thinking. She then remembered why. Saya didn’t have her voice anymore. She was useless to Spera now. She was merely an accessory now. “Murderers of the king’s best guard, huh? That sounds a bit dangerous for two little girls.” Spera paled slightly but said nothing. “Wait, what? So you did kill someone? Spera, you murdered someone! A living thing!” “It was a moment of panic! He was crushing me and I couldn’t breathe. It was self defense.” “YOU KILLED A LIVING FUCKING BEING!” Saya clapped her hand over her mouth as the profanity flew out. “I WAS TRYING TO SAVE OUR LIVES! I SAVED YOUR LIFE AND YOU’RE MAD AT ME BECAUSE ONE PERSON DIED!” “You won’t ever do it again.” “You can’t control me anymore.” Saya growled in frustration as Jack of Blades started laughing. “You two are adorable. I can’t believe you killed the King’s guard. How did you do it? Argue him to death.” “I used Seraphian. Now where the hell are we?” Saya looked around at the forest they were in. Everyone froze as a cold quiet voice responded from all around them. “While I have entertained myself with your quarreling, and you are very entertaining, I’m afraid I’m going to have to kill you now.”

Azrael looked around and couldn’t find the source of the voice so he reached out with his powers. When he found that it was just a meager warlock he began to giggle, he momentarily lost control of his powers and his demonic silver hair and pure black eyes flashed through along with the angelic features of the rest of his body. Instantly he regained composure and became Jack of Blades the human warlock again, Azrael looked over to catch both Spera and Saya looking at him like he was insane. That girl Spera was cute and she knew Seraphian which was very interesting. He spoke out loud, “I promise I’m more powerful than you so I would advise you leave us alone kind sir.” The other warlock jumped out of the brush and it looked very entertaining, he was only about 4’5 and held a short sword in one hand with a staff taller than Azrael’s normal 6’8 in the other hand. Even the speechless girl Saya with a very soft voice began to laugh at him, the warlock looked very embarrassed for a moment then attempted to lift the staff. Azrael began to laugh when he dropped it, then after he finished laughing, “Little warlock you do not truly believe you could defeat the Jack of Blades did you?” At the warlock’s shocked look Azrael continued, “That’s right I have returned and I come for blood so I would advise you leave off and don’t mess with any of us ever again.” Then the warlock broke out of the trance caused by those words and jumped at him, “The Jack of Blades died hundreds of years ago! Don’t you dare lie to me.” The other warlock summoned some spirits and started launching spells at him. Azrael just started laughing and drew Glefir, Azrael started using the sword to absorb the energy used in the lesser casters spells. Then finally began walking toward the other man and cut his head directly in half at a diagonal. He started laughing even more then cleaned off Glefir, “Hey that’s an angel’s sword isn’t it?” The smaller girl Spera asked him. The question had caught him completely off guard, “Yes it is. It belonged to my father, what of it?” Saya and Spera looked back and forth exchanging uneasy glances and both of them moved into fighting stances. Spera drew a short sword and Saya a dagger. Azrael twisted Glefir into his fighting stance, “You two can’t win I hope you know that. Just ask me whatever you want to know and I won’t hurt you because I don’t want innocent blood on my hands.” “Okay,” Spera started, “Are you one of, one of them?” She said with disgust. Saya glared at her hard. “Yes I am Nephalem,” he returned to his normal body form, “I know that makes you feel uncomfortable but are you aware why the Elves and Men are so against it?” Spera and Saya looked back and forth between him and each other both almost drooling. “Of course you wouldn’t know well it isn’t because we are abominations, it’s because we are more powerful than any of them could ever hope to be unless they are stealing dragonhearts again or something of the sort. So in case you’re wondering my mother was a demon and my father an angel. I was risen with the clans and learned that I have abilities which have belonged to no Nephalem before me.” He looked at their reactions then felt something blaze up from Spera, power pure and true. She had no idea what she was, she didn’t just have magic she was made of it, which meant she probably had no idea what her name truly meant. Her name was the true name of the Seraphian language Azrael assumed instantly. Why else would someone as weak as her be made of magic? He reached into their minds -so was what Spera was thinking at that moment so he put up a barricade. “THATESO!” She looked surprised when it didn’t work and then she passed out. “What a shame, she seemed like she would have been so useful.” Said a voice behind them almost female but not quite. Azrael turned around to see the last woman she expected to see around him someone he had grown up despising with every fiber of his being. His mother stood behind him chastising him.