➪𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

My entire body aches. The light of the sun is practically burning through my eyelids.

My body is being shaken. I know it is Miguel. Hesitantly, I open my eyes, which almost blinds me.

"(Y/N)! Wake up!" The boy frets.

Confused at first, I glance around. "Miguel, what-" Then I see the guitar. It all hits me like a truck.

"Come on!" As quickly as possible, Miguel grabs the guitar, my wrist, and pulls us out of Ernestos memorial building.

It feels so weird being back here. It feels as if the entire journey in the Land of the Dead was just a fever dream. Running through town, we slowly approach the Rivera property. A few of his family members spot us, including his father.

Pushing past the gates, we make our way to the room were Coco is in. But before we can, someone jumps in front of us.

His Abulita.

"Where have you been?!"

He try to get passed her, but she is blocking him. "I need to see mamá Coco, please!"

The woman gasps, noticing the guitar. "What are you doing with that?!" The woman attempts to snatch it from his hand, but he dodges and we get past her just in time.

I open the door, letting Miguel in then quickly slamming it shut and locking it. I could clearly hear the yelling as she bangs on the door.

Miguel is already kneeling next to the older woman. "M-mamá Coco? Can you hear me? It's Miguel. I saw your papá. Remember? Papá?"  Despite his cries, there is no avail.

Yet, he continues. "Please! If you forget him, he'll be gone. Forever."

The Riveras continue to pound on the door. I stand more near the side. I can't bear to watch him like this. Attempting to regain her memories. Right now, it isn't looking very good.

Miguel picks up the guitar. "Here. This was his guitar, right? He used to play it to you?" He sits down the instrument, and takes the family photo out of his pocket to show her. "See? There he is! Papá! Remember? Papá?"

He receives nothing from her. Absolutely nothing.

My eyes tear up. I am for sure Héctor is gone.

"Mamá Coco, please! Don't forget him!"

He stands up and locks eyes with me, defeated. All of a sudden his Abuelita was able to unlock the door with keys, and his family barges in.

"What are you doing to that poor woman?!" His Abuelita scolds, coming to Coco's aid.

Miguels father puts his hand on his hips, very pissed off. But I can tell he was more worried about him than angry. "What's gotten into you?"

The boy, without responding, sobs and shoves himself into his dads arms. "I thought I'd lost you, Miguel." The man sighs.

"I'm sorry, Papá."

His Mamá puts her arm around the two. "We're all together now. That's what matters."

"Not all of us."

Héctor. Miguel eyes flash to me in a split second. Staring at the ground, I fold my lips while wiping a hot tear off my cheek. I stand on the side with slight awkwardness. What am I supposed to do now?

His Abuelita whips her head too Miguel. "Miguel, you apologize to your Mamá Coco."

He releases his arms from his parents, taking a few steps to the woman. "Mamá Coco?" Miguels foot bumps into the guitar, making him look at it. He takes very uneven breaths looking at it.