➪𝗘𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

-ONE YEAR LATER-

There I stand in front of a mirror, looking for any imperfections in my current outfit. I don't think I've ever been as nervous as I am now.

After the. . events of last years Dia de los muertos, The Riveras offered to house me. I very hesitantly accepted.

And now, also as Miguels girlfriend, I have to spend the holiday with them. And it's also my first time ever celebrating.

I'm so clueless.

Now tired of constantly fixing myself, I sigh in the mirror with satisfaction. Hopefully I look decent enough. I walk out the room I am housed in, searching for Miguel.

As I walk, I notice a tour guide speaking to a group of tourists right outside the Riveras residence. "And right over here, one of Santa Cecilia's greatest treasures. The home of the esteemed song writer, Héctor Rivera. The letters Héctor wrote home for his daughter Coco contain the lyrics for all of your favorite songs. Not just Remember me."

I break out into a smile. A lot has happened since last year.

The truth had gotten out about who actually wrote the songs. The Riveras even like music now! The truth had also gotten out that Ernesto is actually a murderer. No one cleans or takes care of his memorial building anymore. Someone even put a sign up on it saying, "Forget you."

Which may or may not have been done by me.

I continue my search for Miguel. I eventually find him in the Ofrenda room, with his Abuelita and his toddler sister.

Oh boy.

I crack my knuckled nervously, and clear my throat to catch their attention. They turn to see me standing there. Miguels eyes light up with ecstasy. Butterflies fill my stomach instantly. 

After dating him for a year, it still feels like the immature crush I had on him at eleven years old. 

Elena glances between us. "I'll leave you two to it," she leaves, giving me a warm smile on the way out.

I nervously stands next too Miguel. "How are you feeling?" He asks with a head tilt.

I release the breath I was holding. "If I'm being honest, super nervous."

Miguel gave a breathy laugh and puts his free arm around my shoulder. "There is nothing to worry about. My family loves you. And even if they don't, you got me!"

The toddler in his arms starts giggling while reaching her stubby hands out to me.

"And her."

I chortle, giving a tiny wave to Socorro. That baby has a weird liking to me. I'm not complaining, though. She is the cutest little baby I have ever seen.

Miguel shrugs. "Besides, it won't be as dangerous as last years."

I give a small laugh, leaning on his shoulder a little bit. I don't want to put too much weight on his shoulder due to the baby in his hands. "Definitely not as dangerous."

We both look at a recent picture added to the ofrenda. It is Coco's picture. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Miguel face contort into a sad look. 

"Y'know," I say, breaking the silence between us. "even to this day, I still wonder if we were fast enough."

Miguel gives me a look, immediately knowing what I was referring to. Héctor. The boy breaks out into a small smile. "Something tells me we were."