Love Letters from Louisiana

My Heart's In Alabama Book 2 - Sneak Peek

Book 2 - Sneak Peek

💚

1 - Kiersten

The sun glistens off the cool and calm waters of Lake Hutton. The clear blue sky stretches on for miles and miles. It's a perfect day. The first one in close to two weeks. It's been nothing but rain and thunderstorms since Matt left. It's probably a coincidence, but if the weather is some kind of metaphor, the sunshine makes me hopeful that maybe things won't be so bad.

I lean back on my elbows and stretch out my legs. I stare off into the distance, basking in the sun and relishing the feeling of the grass tickling my skin. There's no place on Earth better than this. I'm sure of it.

"Ugh," Whitney moans as she brushes off her beach towel. "Why does dirt have to be so dirty?"

Immediately, I'm snapped out of my lakeside bubble. I guess I should know better than to expect peace while Whitney's around. Even so, I can't stop myself from letting out a laugh. That girl is so ridiculous, but in the best kind of way.

"You know, Teddy, you really oughta do something about all this dirt, it's really unbecoming of a lady to be sunbathing in the muck like some kind of pig."

Teddy stares at her with the blankest, dead inside look you can imagine.

"You want me to get rid of the dirt...on a farm?"

"I mean, would it kill you to try?"

Teddy shakes his head and takes a deep breath as Bridgette and I try not to laugh at the extreme amount of restraint it's taking him not to completely lose it. Whitney stares at him and raises her eyebrows waiting for him to answer. We whip our heads between the two of them like we're at a tennis match. The longer she looks at him, the more aggravated he gets. He taps his fingers against his knee to calm himself until he can't take it anymore.

"I'm gonna go get a soda," he says abruptly and shoots from his seat. "Y'all want something?"

Whitney's face lights up at the opportunity to push his patience just far enough over the edge.

"I would love a Cherry Coke," she says, her voice dripping with poisonous honey.

Whitney bats her eyes at him like she's all sweet and innocent, but Teddy knows better. He opens his mouth to give her a piece of his mind, but then he looks at Bridgette and bites his tongue.

"You got it," he says through gritted teeth.

He walks off to the house with a smile, but we can hear him grumbling and muttering the whole way there. Poor guy.