Perfect Day

Jamie slumps low in the back seat as I drive us down to the beach. We don't see any reporters or cameras, but he keeps on his cap and glasses to be safe. When I lead him to the secret area, there's no sound except the gentle crashing of the waves.

"It's beautiful," he gasps.

Watching him stand there, hair pushed back, toned body leaning against my car, I can't help but to think that he's beautiful.

"Go ahead, I'll be there in a sec," I say.

As he runs off into the water, I take off my jeans and top to reveal a costume with long sleeves and a closed back. I ensure my towel is wrapped securely around my waist before making my way down to the sand. After all, I've only known him for a few days, he's not ready to see the damage yet.

I drop the bags of food and drink on the sand and lay down a second towel to sit on before joining him in the ocean. He looks like a gleeful child, splashing around like that. It's sweet.

(Jamie's POV)

I turn to see her running into the waves. Given all she has already told me, I know why she's chosen such a conservative swimming costume, so I don't push it. I don't want to ruin a perfect day.

"Impressive," I comment after watching her dive under a wave and swim up next to me.

"Were you planning on getting your hair wet?"

"Why?"

She splashes me with water, "Just thought I'd do it for you." A smirk.

"Well I'm gonna get you back for that," I chuckle, but she swims out of reach and further into the sea.

"Ah," I say, embarrassed.

"What's wrong?" She asks as she nears me. "Don't tell me you're scared the shark's will bite your toes?" She teases.

"Well I am now, obviously. But no, uh..." I cough, my face turning a shade of red. "I don't know how to swim." I confess.

She looks shocked at first.

"In fact, this is the first time I've been to this beach."

"Wow, really?"

"Well I don't get a lot of free time. I'm always on tour or on a film set or something."

She nods in understanding before shrugging.

"Ah well, it doesn't matter. I'll just have to teach you," she says, seeming excited by the idea.

"You'd do that?" I ask, surprised.

"Of course," a small chuckle escapes her lips. "After you learn though, I'm gonna whoop your ass in a race."

I nod solemnly, "I'm sure you will."

"Come on then."

"What do we do first?" I'm now eager to learn.

"Do you trust me?" She looks straight into my eyes.

"Not in the slightest," I tease, mimicking the first time I asked her that. "Yes, of course I do."

"Lie back."

She places her hands on my back and supports me as I lie down in the water. I'm tentative at first, but knowing she's there relaxes me.

"Don't drop me," I joke.

"Never," she whispers.

As she explains and shows me how to swim, I don't feel embarrassed anymore. I admire her. She seems confident for the first time since I met her. She's completely at ease in the ocean.

In no time, I'm swimming alongside her as we chat and laugh and, as promised, she absolutely destroys me in a race. We stay in the water for a little longer until the sun starts to dip in the sky.

(Y/n's POV)

"Come on then," I say. "The sharks will be along soon." I'm only teasing him but, given how quickly he gets out of the water, I think he thought I was being serious.

I wrap my towel around my shoulders and sit cross-legged next to Jamie on the sand, and watch as he rifles through the bag of food.

"No-one tells you swimming makes you hungry," he complains. The childishness of his tone makes me giggle.

"Hey," he says, looking grim. "Never come between a man and his food."

This encourages a bad memory to surface, but I manage to push it down.

We sit for a while, munching on sandwiches and berries, apples and biscuits. I chew thoughtfully for a moment.

"Jamie?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Always."

"Why were you running?"

He looks confused.

"That day, you were running from the paparazzi. I was just wondering why?"

A silence hangs between us for a moment. He puts his apple down and braces himself to speak.

"Because y/n," he begins. "I also have a demon I was trying to get away from." He sighs before he continues.

"Her name's Lily. We met on the set of a movie we were both in. We dated, on and off, for the better part of 4 years, before I decided to end it for good. That was 3 months ago. The reporters got a whiff of the doomed relationship and started following us everywhere, demanding interviews. They had so many questions."

He looks like he might cry, and it makes my heart want to break.

"When I finally decided to end it properly with her, it seemed to excite the press even more. When you saw me running, I'd had enough. I was turning them all away, refusing to answer any of their questions. Then there you were." The last part almost sounded matter-of-fact.

"Why did you break up with her?"

"After a while, I realised I just didn't love her the way she loved me anymore. I left it for a while, hoping things would get better, but they just deteriorated from there."

"I'm really sorry," I say, and I truly am. Relationships can be complicated, and it's so hard to do anything when you don't want to hurt the other person.

"Can I ask you something?" he asks tentatively.

"It's about Gary, isn't it?" I close my eyes and prepare myself. "Go on."

"What did he do to you?"

I should have known that question would come eventually. Strangely enough though, I don't shy away from being open and honest. I'm ready to tell Jamie.