Forty Five: Breakfast

Brian was still there when you awoke for the second time. Still wrapped in his arms, laying awkwardly across the bed in the wrong direction. The man was asleep, you realised, as you lifted your head from his chest. His shoes were still on, he must not have wanted to disturb you after you fell asleep, shortly after his confession of love. You hadn't said anything back - you didn't think he was expecting you to.

Normally, you would have been hesitant to believe the man telling you he was in love with you. You'd only kissed a handful of times, and last night you'd learned more about him in ten minutes than you had in months of knowing him. You tried to justify it in your mind - he'd known you a lot longer than you'd known him, it was creepy but true. He was lonely, probably. But, deep down, you knew the real reason why you chose not to be skeptical; you had nothing left to lose, you could be dead any day now. If love was being offered, you'd eat it up.

You watched Brian's face as he slept, as he'd undoubtedly done to you many times before. He looked peaceful, soft sunlight from the window catching in his hair. A look at the alarm clock told you that it was 7:02, you'd both been asleep for a long while. Turning back to look down at him, you reached a hand up and gently caressed the side if his face, fingertips lightly ghosting over the ends of his hair. For a moment, you forgot where you were, your imminent doom. Swept up in his angelically lit features, strong jawline and high cheekbones.

His eyes cracked open, long lashes catching the warmth from the window. Looking up at you through dark eyes, drinking in your every feature as he'd just caught you doing with a soft smirk. "What're you looking at?"

You grinned at him, "You."

On instinct, you leaned towards him, eyes fluttering shut. Your lips met his softly. He brought one hand up to the side of your neck and tugged you further down towards him. You smiled into the kiss as you felt his pulse flutter under where your hands laid on his chest.

You pulled away after a moment to catch your breath. He smiled gently up at you for a moment, fixing your birds-nest hair. Then, he rolled over and stood, walking to the chair on the other end of the room. He'd thrown his gloves over at some point, but now he pulled them both back on, to your dismay. Next, he reached for his mask.

Before he pulled it over his head, though, he turned to you with a soft expression, looming over you to give you one final peck on the lips. "Put the jacket on, let's go down to the kitchen."

Kitchen? You were surprised that this place had one, you couldn't imagine Jeff or Masky sitting down to have a family-style dinner. Then again, you also couldn't imagine the literal crazed murderers within these walls ordering a pizza.

Brian's face disappeared from your view as you watched him pull his mask on. You regarded him with a sigh, already missing the sight of his eyes. "Why do you even wear that around here?"

He only shrugged, pulling his jacket off the chair and handing it to you when you made no moves to go and grab it. "For fun."

You rolled your eyes at him, accepting the jacket and standing to pull it on, then going to grab your shoes. You'd just assume, then, that it was another symptom of hating his job. Masky and EJ knew what his face looked like, what his real voice sounded like, but he didn't seem keen on anyone else knowing. You could understand that - the company here wasn't exactly warm.

Once your shoes were tied, Brian strode to the door and held it open for you. You hated every step towards the doorway, not wanting to let this moment go yet. As soon as you stepped into that hallway, he'd be back to his stony working persona. You could only cross your fingers and hope that you'd get to be alone with him again before you died. No, you corrected yourself, you wouldn't let yourself fucking die, so that you could be alone with him again. With that thought, you set your jaw and stepped out into the dim hallway.