𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄, ❝an ode to angels without wings❞

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄

❝an ode to angels without wings❞

𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐬.

Day in and day out, it was a constant filter of violence and depressing stories, hidden behind anecdotes about "community" events and "good samaratins" who did shit like find money and make the stupid decision to return it. It was nothing more than noise, mindless chatter while they slipped in stories about "great community changes" that were nothing more than the gentrification of poor, black neighborhoods and laws that passed that continuously gave the people in the 1% percent the power and riches to trifle about the world, destroying everything in their wake for the sake of lining the pockets, and squishing those they saw as inferior beneath their feet.

𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐞.

But sometimes, I couldn't help but tune in, my fingers itching, clawing at the remote to get my fix, unable to contain myself. I don't why I always got my hopes up for what they would say, as if they ever had anything valuable to say, especially about me. I don't know why I expected that they would see me how I saw myself, with their inaccurate assumptions, grasping for straws that weren't there, scrutinizing me underneath their warped perceptions of the world and what was going on around them. They were woefully ignorant, choosing the safe option, the safe thoughts, wanting to keep the brainless sheep that watched this mindless garbage right where they had them - dumb as a doorknob, blind to the world beyond the plasma television screen, and deaf to the cries of others. They wanted them panicked, skeptical, and scared.

But yet, I still found myself like a moth to a flame, anticipating, hanging onto their every word. Some people would call that insanity.

Maybe because I was hoping to reach somebody out there. Somebody that would understand the way I saw things. Someone like me. But from a young age, I knew I couldn't expect everybody to see things from my point of view. No matter how hard you tried - people were stubborn, insistent in mellowing in their lack of knowledge - and you could only do so much to change their mind. So I didn't waste my time.