Chapter 12

"If you need to get home, that's cool," Zach said as they walked around lower Old City, viewing Penn's Landing and the Delaware River in the near distance. "But if you want to, we can go to my place and watch a movie. I live a few blocks away."

Katy almost stumbled on the cobblestones at Zach's words. It had never occurred to her that Zach lived nearby or that going to his place would be mentioned. Even though she trusted Zach and knew he would never put her in a compromising position, this was a lot for a first date. But the only thing she knew for certain was that she did not want the evening to end. Being with Zach was the only thing that made sense to her these days.

"Oh wow, I didn't know you lived near here, that's cool," Katy said, trying not to sound too excited. "Sure, that sounds fun."

As they walked towards Zach's apartment, he started having second thoughts as he pondered the fact that even though Katy was 18 and he was only a few years older, Katy was still in high school and may not have had much dating experience.

"Katy, listen, just because we are going to my place, I want you to know you don't have anything to worry about," Zach said softly as he took hold of Katy's hand. "I would never do anything to make you uncomfortable."

"No worries, Zach, I know," Katy said, as she smiled and squeezed Zach's hand. "I am not worried at all. I can't wait to see your place."

As Katy walked into Zach's apartment on the top floor of a brownstone building in the heart of Old City, the word "bachelor pad" came to mind. It was beautiful, with dark hardwood floors and floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the city and Delaware River. Katy took a seat on the black leather sectional sofa that took up most of the living area while Zach turned on the massive flat screen TV hanging on the wall.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Zach asked as he walked into the stunning black and white kitchen highlighted by a white marble island and upscale stainless-steel appliances.

"Water is fine, thanks. This is really nice Zach."

"Thanks, I like it. I'm not here a lot and I know it is kind of bare, but it has what I need and is quiet," Zach said. "My favorite thing is the view. Pretty amazing. I feel like I can see all of Philly from here."

Zach walked in from the kitchen with two glasses of sparkling water and sat beside Katy.

"Make yourself comfortable. You can take off your shoes or whatever. I never wear shoes around here," Zach laughed. "What movie do you want to watch?"

"I really don't care, but it looks like we have a lot of choices," Katy smiled as she motioned to the impressive blue ray disc collection neatly organized in a black bookcase next to the TV.

"Yes, I really like movies and I always buy the DVDs of my favorites," Zach said. "I know everyone is into the whole streaming thing now, but there is something about owning the movie and being able to pop it into the DVD player anytime you want to."

"I agree," Katy smiled. "I have a fairly decent collection of CDs and books."

"Have you ever seen Slapshot?" Zach asked.

"No, I haven't, which is probably hard to believe considering my father is a hockey coach," Katy laughed. "I have heard him mention it, but I think he figured it wasn't exactly a family movie."

"Probably not," Zach laughed, "but it is awesome and so funny. It is a requirement for any hockey fan, so you have to see it." Zach said with a wink.

Katy loved the movie and couldn't believe she had never seen it before. Now she understood why everyone called it a classic. She and Zach shared many laughs throughout the movie as they got more comfortable and edged closer to each other on the sofa. By the end of the movie, Katy was curled up against Zach's chest with his arm around her waist.