Chapter 21

Katy and Zach spent the rest of the day admiring their boy and catching up. Zach told Katy that he never forgot about her and was distraught when he couldn't get in touch with her and then terrified when he went by her house and figured out that she was gone. Katy told Zach the whole story of her pregnancy and move to Virginia, and Zach almost punched the hospital room wall when she told him the plan to put the baby up for adoption. He understood how Katy had been forced to that decision, but the thought of that almost reality sent a shudder through his whole body. He came so close to not knowing about his son and not ever seeing Katy again. Thank goodness her aunt Cathy was smart, attentive, and had the guts to track him down. When she called him and told him the news earlier today, he thought it was prank call, even though the call had been sent through by his agent. But when Zach heard the emotion in Cathy's voice, he knew it was true and he knew he had to get to Katy's side as soon as possible. He didn't even remember the drive from Philly, and he was lucky he didn't get a speeding ticket because he had never wanted to get anywhere so fast in his life.

Katy's mother gave the new family space for most of the day, and Katy wondered what her mother had said to the woman from the adoption agency. Katy had insisted that the baby stay in the room all morning for fear that the adoption agency would somehow take their baby from the nursery. But the peace they had right now was bound to be broken, because Katy's father was due to arrive this evening. Katy was terrified as to what her father would do when he saw his star player standing there. Katy's mother had not told him anything for fear he would run his car off the road on the way there. She figured it was best to deal with the situation on the spot as a family.

Zach and Katy were quietly chatting and Cathy had stepped out to make some business calls when Katy's parents walked in. Zach jumped up from the bed and faced his coach.

"Coach," he nodded. "Before you say anything I just want you to know how much I love your daughter and grandson."

Katy's father balled his fist by his side and glared at Zach but didn't lunge or punch.

"What part of the rule 'do not get anywhere near my daughter' did you not understand?!" Katy's father hissed. "I should toss you off the team right now and make sure that I ruin your chance of ever playing hockey again. I have that power, you know. And I can make sure you never see my daughter or that baby again."

"Yes sir," Zach lowered his head as he saw everything in the world he cared for about to slip away.

"Dan. You know I have stood by your decisions for years, but look at them. Do you really want to destroy this?" Katy's mom pleaded through tears. "Just because you made a mistake in your youth doesn't mean that you have to make Katy and Zach pay for that."

Katy's father turned to his wife with wide eyes. He thought his secret was safe. How did she find out?

"I know. You thought I didn't know, but I can do research too," Katy's mother raised her eyebrows. "A friend of a friend went to school with the girl's sister, and I put two and two together. Just because you got involved with your coach's daughter and it didn't turn out well doesn't mean that you have to punish Katy and Zach and our darling grandchild for that. It's time to let it go and enjoy this gift."

Katy was stunned by her mother standing up to her father and by this revelation. Now it all made sense: the rules, the strange rituals designed to keep her as far away from his team as possible. Katy wondered what actually happened. It sounded bad, scandalous in fact. And now the vague stories of her father's junior career and why he didn't get drafted in the NHL started to make sense. She might never know the whole story, but she knew enough. And she knew that her mother had stood up for her. Her father stood there in silence for a few minutes before turning around and walking out of the room.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine and he'll be back," Katy's mother said. "I know him well and he is going to love this little guy more than anyone and will count the days until he can get the kid on the ice," she smiled as she turned her attention to Zach.

She turned to Katy and smiled in a way that only a mother can.

"Darling, you two may want to come up with a name soon," she said. "We have people to tell and announcements to mail out."