FIFTY-THREE

Amy has been uncomfortably fidgeting around in my room for the past ten minutes. This morning, we got the news that Daxton and his troops were sighted not too far from here and might get here as soon as tomorrow morning.

Liam immediately gathered everyone to finalise everything. Jason is obviously with him, as his Beta. And I get stuck with a very panicky Amy.

"Can you stop pacing? You're freaking me out," I almost yell.

"I can't. I— I feel sick," she covers her mouth and rushes to the bathroom.

I run after her and watch her throw up.

"Oh, my God, Amy. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine," she breathes out, wiping her face.

"Clearly not," I step closer, handing her a towel.
"How long has this been happening?" I ask heading out of the bathroom, assuming she's following me.

When I don't hear her behind me, I turn back to see her standing in the doorway.

"I'm pregnant."

"Oh," is all I manage to say. I can't tell if I should congratulate her judging by the look on her face when she says it. Instead I just ask, "How do you feel?"

"I don't know," she sighs and moves towards me.

I pat the bed next to me, indicating for her to sit and she does.

"I mean we weren't planning on it," she gives me an embarrassed smile. "But you know how werewolves are. There were some times when things happened and we weren't prepared. You understand, right?"

"I do understand which is why I use the pill," I chuckle. "But it doesn't matter anymore. Tell me, how exactly do you feel about this? Then we can decide if we're panicking or celebrating."

"I'm scared," she stutters. "Scared of not being prepared. Scared for Jason. I haven't even told him yet. But..." she seems to be lost in thought for a second. Then a small smile appears on her face.
"But, mostly, I think I'm happy," she concludes.

"Well then, I believe congratulations are in order," I exclaim and wrap my arms around her, engulfing her into a hug.

"You should tell Jason. I'm sure he'll be over the moon. And don't worry about him. I'm not going to let anything happen to him," I promise.

~~~

Around dinner time, after waiting for Liam to return, I decide to head to the pack house myself. When I arrive, there is a lot of ruckus going around. In my search for Liam, I end up at his office. A few men are exiting the room when I walk inside.

"Oh, hey, baby. I was just about to come home," he smiles at me.

"What's going on?" I ask, ignoring him.

"We found their camp. Across the river. I don't think they expected we would find them because they did try to hide it. But they didn't do a very good job. They also didn't expect us to have long-range weapons which we used to destroy it."

"Well, that's good news," I exclaim.

"Yes, it is," he grins.

We decide to have dinner at the pack house with everyone else and then head back afterwards.

"So has everything been finalised?" I ask Liam once we're settled in bed. He has one arm wrapped around my shoulder while he uses his other hand to do something on his tablet.

"Yeah," he turns his head to face me. "I'll take about two-thirds of the men and set up camp around West. And Alpha Chase will lead the rest of them at the North side, with the higher ground. A few men have been assigned near the cliff, just to be safe, and then there's you guys. Out East, as much as I don't want it."

"I will be fine, Liam. Besides, you already destroyed their camp on this side so that's as safe as it's going to get."

He nods curtly and gets back to his work. Resting my head on his shoulder, I speak up again.

"Where is Jason going to be?"

"With me, of course. Why do you ask?"

"Shouldn't you ask him to stay back? You know, to keep everyone here safe," I mumble, swallowing hard.

"Why?" Liam raises an eyebrow at me. "What's going on, April?"

"Nothing," I chuckle nervously. But he continues to eye me with suspicion.

"It's Amy," I spill. "She's pregnant. And I promised her I would ask you to keep Jason safe."

"Oh. Wow," his eyes go wide in surprise.

"All right. Let me see what I can do."