Returning

The sun was shining brightly in the sky despite the threat of rain. Nevertheless, Tikki huddled farther into her purse when Marinette exited the plane. All around the Paris Airport was buzzing with activity. A shuttle parked just below the ramp and people began to board. Marinette grabbed her backpack from the pile of luggage that had been unloaded and went to join them with a spring in her step. She was so excited to be home. She had missed Paris. After becoming the guardian of the miracle box, the guardians had insisted that she receive her training to become a real guardian before they let her continue. Unfortunately, that had to take place in their sacred monastery deep in the heart of China. She had to have a reason for leave so suddenly, however, so she left under the guise of a fashion internship in China that she had created with the help of the guardians. The summer hadn't been easy, but she was a little sad it was over so soon. There were so many things that she still didn't know about the miraculous and miracle boxes. The entire airport was crowded and loud. It felt like it took hours for her to reach the front and even longer to catch a cab.

"Dupain-Cheng Bakery, please."

She asked. The driver nodded and went to put her luggage in the trunk, before realizing that she didnt have any, while she got in. But before she did, a group of shadows passed over head and suddenly the crowd began to cheer. Marinette looked up with them and saw Rena Rogue, Carapace, and Chat Noir leaping through the night sky on patrol. She smiled. Her training had meant she would be leaving Chat by himself for a while. She was still sure to warn him, giving him her yo-yo as well till she returned. But he still hadn't been too happy about her leaving. In addition, she also gave Alya and Nino their miraculous to keep for the time being. She had confidence that they would be fine without her, but it was still hard to leave him. It was hard to leave everyone, especially when she had to dispose of her phone.

"Isolation yeilds focus."

The guardians had said. Needless to say, Marinette hadn't been able to give anyone a heads up about her coming back. It would be a nice surprise. The taxi pulled up to the curb outside the Dupain-Cheng Bakery, and Marinette gathered her things before paying the man. After the driver had left, she turned to the bakery. Through the windows, she could see her parents working behind the counter. Sabine setting out the last of their goods for the day before they closed, and Tom started to clean the kitchen. She waited till her mother's back was turned then walked in.

"Excuse-moi, I would like to order a chocolate chip cookie and some macaroons, please."

Sabine whirled around.

"MARINETTE!!! Tom, get in here! She's back!!"

She yelled, then practically threw herself over the counter to wrap her daughter in a tight hug. Tom was quick to follow. They hugged for a long time before her parents let her head upstairs to unpack while they finished closing the store. When she reached her room, she was pleased to see everything was just as she left it.

"Welcome home, Marinette."

Tikki squeaked as Marinette began to put her things away.

"Thanks, Tikki. It feels good to be back."

Tikki smiled before flying off to find her stash of cookies. After Marinette finished unpacking, she went up to the balcony. It was a nice clear fall day and the sun was just beginning to set behind the Eiffel Tower. It was beautiful. She thought back to the last time she had been up here. She had been with Luka. It was the night he told her he was going on tour with his father Jagged Stone (because he and Marinette were close, Luka found out he was his father already). Marinette was happy for him, but when he offered to take her with them she had to refuse, which eventually led to their breakup. Neither were sad, however, because it was mutual and they we're both still good friends but Marinette still missed him. Which was why she was so excited to be back. She was excited to see everyone again, and she was excited to get her life back on track for her last year of school.