one

If I were to disappear, who would search for me?

It'd been a normal day. Just like any other when I decided to go to the library. I hadn't read in a long time and felt as though I might as well rekindle my passion.

As I had been a bit... down lately. Well either way, it was a library I'd never heard of before. One that'd opened recently and many people had raved about just how good it was.

Even some of my classmates. A library filled with books that'd suck you right in. Stories like ones you've never seen before. Who wouldn't want to take a peek after hearing such good reviews? If the books really were that good then maybe they could cheer me up. That's what I'd thought of course.

The place smelled of air freshener and wood. It had a chill to it, one that crept up at the back of my neck.

Several shelves filled the room, so many that I nearly got lost in them. A sweet voice ringed in my ear,

"Welcome... dear customer. I hope you'll find a story that'll suck you right in." But when I turned around to see where that voice had come from— no one stood there. It was completely empty. It was sort of creepy really. But I pushed away the strange feelings and searched for the different sections that held the stories I enjoyed.

Mystery, romance, thriller, fantasy and young adult— all genres I would read when I was younger. Walking around the library with the quiet echoes of every step I took following behind me, a feeling of warmth entered me. It'd been so long. So long since I'd last even thought about reading. It had been such a big passion of mine when I was younger, so what could've possibly made me throw it away? Forgotten from my mind. As if it was never there.

A book laid on the floor. It was rose colored, with golden accents. It emanated a soft romantic feeling. Just from looking at it I could tell it was in the romance genre.

Who would lay a book like this on the floor? What if someone stepped or tripped over it? Ugh...

I picked it up and when I held it in my hands I got a much clearer view of the cover. A young woman with pink flowy hair and delicate eyes being held by a tall man with white hair. They both looked at each other with longing and lust filled eyes. But there was a shadow of a woman behind them. Her eyes— a mint color, shining with jealousy and a large, ruffed up book held in her hands. She looked like a witch... "With You", it was a pretty simple title. And I was able to get a good guess of what the book was about thanks to it.

I opened the first page and had planned to only read a few words. See what the book was about and then put it back on its shelf. Yet that didn't happen. Once I'd opened the book I couldn't put it down. The story, romance, writing, prose, world, everything— it was a story full of drama and wonder. One that spoke to my soul. And before I knew it the moon had risen. Though it was hard to tell from the dim lighting when I looked up at the roof I could see the moon gently shining above me.

That's when I realized that I'd stayed in the same spot for hours reading without even noticing. The aching pain in my heels and knees were starting to get worse.

I might as well go home... It was fun. Maybe I should come here again?

I smiled and closed the book, ready to put it back on its shelf when it suddenly started shining. A light stronger than the moonlight from above. The light was blinding to the point where I lost my footing. Staggering backwards and falling. In the process I'd dropped the book and that's when the light disappeared.

The book laid open on the floor.

And the words in it flew out, surrounding me and shining even brighter than before. What the hell is going on?! I could do nothing but watch as the book flashed, getting brighter by the second.

But eventually I closed my eyes.

And when I opened them again,

I was in the woods.

My body felt unexpectedly hot. And horribly uncomfortable. I looked down only to see that my clothes had changed. From my usual sweater and sweatpants to a dark purple gown coated in jewels. There were heavy jewels all over me, not just the dress. My wrists, neck and ears too. Maybe even my hair. I didn't know much other than the fact that my body felt a lot heavier than usual. Wasn't really that big of a shock though with the way my body was coated in jewels.

What had happened to me? My clothes had changed, I was somewhere lost in the woods and— what did I even remember? Right! The book, it all changed after it started going crazy and shining. I looked around in frantic panic but it wasn't anywhere to be seen.

So I got teleported? Transported? To a different wherever with no clues as to how to get back. And I got a strange makeover too.

All of this was just too much for me. Ahh..., all I wanted was to read a book.

There wasn't anything for me to do but walk. Standing still forever wasn't gonna help me. And maybe if I met a person, they'd be able to help me too! Yeah, I couldn't give up hope. Not yet.

It'd been hours of continuous walking but I wasn't getting anywhere! Just how big was this forest? My feet were starting to form blisters and my body was drenched in sweat even though it was a chilly night. This was bad, really, really bad. What if I never escaped from here? Being stuck in a forest sounds like a horrible nightmare!

I was on the verge of tears. But through all my complaining I kept on walking.

A small pond was close by and I'd planned to ignore it but my face was starting to feel grimy. Taking a small break and refreshing myself couldn't be so bad.

Though it was dark and the moon was hidden behind the clouds a small bit of light was still able to slip through.

And from that I could see my reflection.

Wait. What? What, what, what? This can't be right. This isn't right, I must be imagining things! Maybe I fainted at that library and this is all just a strange dream!

Because there's no way... no goddamn way that Elietta Pumchell, the villainess from the novel I just read is looking at me right now.

Those sharp mint green eyes, that long lavender hair, everything— it's all her.

I've become Elietta Pumchell.