eight

"A witch?" I asked. Trying to sound as unaware as possible. "Do witches even exist? I thought they had all been executed."

"That is only what the public believes, but we all know that the witches still exist. Roaming around like they're one of us."

Like.

I sighed and sat straight up. Not wanting to look weak.

"Even if she was a witch, what does that have to do with me?"

"I wonder about that myself..." He looked down and sighed. Like he wasn't sure of the answer.

He got up and sent me a smile.

"Sorry for taking up your time this way. Next time I arrive I'll make sure to tell you beforehand."

Next time??

I couldn't show how I really felt and just gave him a faint smile instead.

We said our goodbyes and I went back into my room. Locking the maids out so I wouldn't have to deal with any of their questions. And laid down in my bed, hugging my pillows tightly.

This is the last time I'll ever use my powers as a witch like that! Nearly got myself killed!

ROYE

I left the mansion and looked behind me to see Elietta's bedroom window. But she didn't stand there like she usually did. Instead the window stood there vacant.

She truly had changed.

I'd first noticed after we'd met in the Forbidden woods. She didn't look at me with those lust filled eyes. She didn't try to latch onto me. Nor did she even try to look or speak to me. Her mind was occupied with something else. It was the first time I hadn't been the first of her priorities.

And then she cried.

Silently.

Wept throughout the whole ride.

And all I could do was listen.

"So how did it go?" Johv asked.

"I'm not very sure myself." I said as I stepped into the carriage.

"Did that woman try anything on you again?" He asked with clear disdain in his voice.

"She didn't."

As I watched the view of the mansion all I could think about was yesterday. If that bomber hadn't told us where he'd hidden all those bombs so many more people would have gotten hurt. It could have been a catastrophic tragedy. Yet it had all been prevented. And for some reason I felt that it all led back to that woman we all saw.

Could she have been a witch? She must have been. But why did she kiss me? Was that a part of the spell? Could that have been the reason as to why my memories of yesterday were so hazy?

And why did it feel like this all had something to do with Elietta?

She had always been a bit strange and sometimes even secretive, but she'd never given the hints of being a witch. However... if she really were a witch then I wouldn't be able to leave her side. She could pose a threat in the near future. Even if I barely believed that thought myself.

###

A few weeks had passed since the incident. I stayed on guard as I patrolled the city with my men. The security had become even tighter after what had just happened.

A woman in a dark brown robe stood out to me. As she walked past the crowd as if she was the wind. Unnoticed by everyone around. And though I couldn't really see her face I felt something strange when I looked at her. She felt suspicious so I followed her.

She entered a small, worn down tavern and I entered after her. Waiting a few minutes before I did.

I sat at the back and could see her talking to a man. But got distracted by the sound of a loud thud. A fight had broken out in this small tavern. Between two men and an old woman who looked weak. Before I could react and step in the hooded woman went before me. Telling the man to back off and took off her hood.

Another person starred and watched the incident unfold as I did. I couldn't help but notice her hair that was a soft pink.

The two men soon backed off and I let out a sigh. That could have escalated and turned out even worse.

I went up to the daring woman. "What were you thinking?"

She was about to say something but stopped once she looked at me. Her face went pale. "Y- You're... you weren't supposed to..."

I too was equally stunned. I hadn't expected to see her out of all people here. "Lady Elietta?"

She looked away and tugged at her robe. I... feel like I've seen that robe before.

"I couldn't just sit back and watch that woman be harassed." She mumbled as she desperately avoided eye contact.

The woman who had been harassed gave Elietta a large smile. "Ahhh, what a kind girl you are! I've got a special treat for you, something that will ward of evil." She took out a white flower and placed it on Elietta's hair.

"Beautiful."

Elietta gave her a soft smile. "Thank you."

"Oh, I've got somewhere I need to be. Thank you again and goodbye." Elietta said as she played with the flower in her hair.

Before I could offer to escort her she had already ran off. And when I stepped out of the tavern I couldn't see any traces of her in the street.

Now that I could take a moment to think about it, her words when she had first seen me didn't make much sense. "You weren't supposed to...", what had she meant by that?

The more I'd talk to Elietta, the less I'd understand.

There was more to her than she'd show.