three

If there was one thing I could be thankful for then it'd be that Elietta was a daughter of a Marquess. Basically born into money and I'd get to use all of it. A pretty stark contrast to my old life. These thoughts made my situation feel a little bit more bearable...

The ride was as awkward as can be. We both sat in silence. Neither having anything to say to the other. I kept my eyes on the road, admiring the nice view. But I could feel how Roye's eyes would often land on me. And every time I would be hit with a chill.

My eyes went teary as a large yawn escaped my lips. I'd known I was tired but sitting down let me know just how worn out I really was. It felt as though my body was gonna melt into the seat with how relaxed it'd become. I was slowly starting to slip in and out of consciousness. Everything went hazy.

Bright white. That was all I could see. Nothing was around me. There was no floor or roof. Just infinite whiteness. Where am I?

"Where indeed?" A voice cooed.

Huh?

I whipped my head back and forth. But no matter where I looked I couldn't see a single person. Where did that voice come from?

"From over here."

And suddenly there was a little boy—no girl— I couldn't really tell— in front of me.

They stood there with a wide smile. Looking at me with eyes like that of the galaxy.

"Who are you? Where is this? Why am I in a novel? Did you do this?!" My words were rushed and slurred and once I stopped my barrage of questions I caught myself being out of breath.

"...Why did this happen to me?"

"One question at a time!" He laughed but I couldn't really find it funny.

"Who am I? Well~ I'm none other than the highest being there is. One you cannot fathom to comprehend. And this place is your mind. I'd entered it so we could speak."

I looked around. Seeing how bleak "my" mind was. Is this really my mind? ...Somehow, it fits.

His smile disappeared for a moment but then came back. Yet it wasn't a warm and innocent smile like the one from before.

"Is there a reason as for why you're in this novel? I dunno, can't really say."

"What do you mean you don't know?!" I shouted. Growing more impatient with his attitude. He shook his head and snickered.

"No need to get so mad now."

A devilish grin appeared on his childlike face. "All I can say is— you can make a reason yourself as for why you're here. Or you can just let it turn out like your last life." His grin grew and he let out a laugh. "It's your call."

We both stayed silent. It was clear he was waiting for my next question. Waiting to see me act weak once again.

"Can I– Can I ever get back home...?"

He smiled.

"Do you want to?"

My body jumped forward. And I took in a deep breath, as if I'd just escaped from drowning. My ears were ringing and my body was covered in cold sweat. Everything was dark. It was such a stark contrast to the white space I had just been in.

His question...

Had anyone noticed that I was gone? Was anyone worried? Did they wonder? Did they think about me? Did my existence mean anything to them?

Now that I've disappeared, is anyone searching for me?

His question,

"Do you want to?".

I couldn't answer it.

For some reason the tears wouldn't stop.

###

They'd finally escorted me back to the Pumchell mansion. In that long, quiet ride I'd been able to think about everything and by now I couldn't deny that this was my new reality.

Roye hadn't said a single word to me even though I had most definitely been acting strange. While the other knights had kept on giving me their usual mean glances.

I laid in my bed. Not wanting to sleep. If I were to wake up the next day like this then it would be my final proof that this really wasn't some crazy fever dream.

A part of me desperately clung to the hopes that none of this was real.

I sighed. Turning my body so I'd face the faraway window. The view of the glowing moon was able to calm my heart.

And slowly, I drifted into sleep.

###

This was going way too fast! How can the novel's main story already be starting?!

After I woke up this morning, depressed over how this really was real, several maids ran into my room. Started dressing me and rushing me. When I asked why they were so ecstatic it just so happened to be that the royal banquet was going to be held today!

I couldn't skip out on something like this. I didn't wanna imagine how people would react if the scandalous Elietta— a.k.a me— skipped out on a royal banquet for unclear reasons. They'd have a field day with all the gossip they'd spread, so I forced myself to go. I'd planned to spend the day in my room wallowing in my own sadness for a bit but clearly that wasn't going to happen.

But this wasn't just any royal banquet but the one where the female lead, Lily, and Roye would meet and feel a "strange" connection. Typical insta love trope. I hadn't been completely aware of what time I'd entered the novel but I hadn't expected it to be the very beginning. Well atleast with this I'd know that "I" hadn't done anything to Lily yet so the death flag was minsking with just a bit.

The thoughts of yesterday still hadn't left my mind. That kid, who barely even answered my questions, completely skipped out on one of my questions. If he'd been the reason as to why I was in the novel. But by now did it even matter? Whether he was the cause or not wouldn't change anything.

This was my life now.