five

It was a usual occurrence to have some sort of tragedy happen in romance novels. That way the main leads would have something they could relate to and grow closer. And it was the same in this novel.

Early on in the novel named "With You", a large tragedy took place. One that the leader of the Jeart knights failed to stop and thanks to that he was filled with great despair. The kind hearted Lily Hitchwell stayed by his side, whispering kind words of encouragements as she told him that it wasn't his fault. His heart which had already beat rapidly at her presence was now completely hers. He had fallen in love.

That plot point brought the two characters even closer together and was used as an aid to their love story.

It was a very important event in their love story. Yet even so I couldn't sit back and let it happen.

The tragedy that took place was a bombing in Airhamn. One of the larger cities in the kingdom. Thousands of people died and many lives were ruined. The people who were poor, living in shabby houses had their already weak houses destroyed. Where would they take shelter from the rains and harsh winds? That wasn't thought about. All that mattered was that Lily and Roye could fall even deeper in love.

That may not have bothered me when this was just a novel that I was reading. But now that I was inside this novel where these characters were more than just background props but actual human beings I couldn't just sit back and let that tragedy happen, could I?

Which is why I left for the city to stop it. This would definitely affect the novel and change the trajectory of the story. But that was something I would have to deal with after this was all over.

I gripped my robe as I walked through the busy night streets. It seemed to be a usual thing for the people here to walk around even in the middle of the night.

From what I could remember in the novel, the man who bombed the streets had roughish red hair and a crooked tooth. He stayed somewhere where he wouldn't be affected. Somewhere far away... Where he would be able to see it all unfold without being affected in the slightest.

He really was a sick fellow.

Right! He stayed near the center of the city. I ran there as I tried to avoid stumbling or bumping into anyone. Especially not one of the Jeart knights since they always roamed the city no matter the time.

Eventually I got to the destination and looked for red.

There he was! Sitting on a bench at the far back with a lousy smile on his face. I went over to him and sat down next to him. Making sure to be extra close. I pulled down my hood and gave him a smile.

"What a fine young man you are."

His eyes went wide with surprise and then turned to that of a grin.

"Are you referring to me...?"

"Is there any other handsome man here?"

He let out a bellowing laugh. "Of course not! You have impeccable taste M'lady."

I put my hand on his and leaned in closer. Gazing deeply into his eyes. "Call me Eli."

"O- Of course! Eli..!"

His brows furrowed and he backed away, holding his throat tightly.

There it is.

The thing with spells that affect the human mind like the one I used in the mansion and the one I used just now it that they're strong, very strong. Which is why they're difficult to prepare. Not only do they take a long time to prepare the bigger it is but close contact is a must for it to work.

I had to walk around the whole mansion, making small talk with every one of the workers while casting the spell. The only ones I didn't go to were my family since I felt there was no need for it. It was like they had already been hit with a spell that made it so they would never go near me.

The man started sweating as his eyes darted around the city. Looking for something.

"Is something wrong?" I leaned in closer, making sure he wasn't too far from me.

"W- What is..?"

I gave him a tight lipped smile and got up.

"Now, why don't you find one of the knights to tell them about what you've done."

He immediately complied and ran to the first Jeart knight he saw. Great, now they could take care of the rest. I'd made sure to hit him with a spell that would make it impossible to remember what I looked like. They knights would definitely question why that man suddenly felt like telling them that he'd planted bombs and was planning on blowing the city. I couldn't have them tracing anything back to me.

This was the perfect time to go back to the city since I was sure the knights would be able to take care of the rest. They were running around frantically and telling citizens to back away so they were clearly now aware of the situation.

But for some reason I had a strange feeling in my gut. Like I couldn't leave just yet.

A large explosion ringed across the city. Drowning out all my thoughts.