Chapter 27: His Feet Were Cold

THIRD PERSON POV

The air was electric, a tense sort of suspense hanging above every head in the Pack House as they anxiously anticipated the birth of a new soul. The shiny, new tether that would soon connect the newborn to the rest of their family was almost palpable, and everyone's fingertips tingled with anticipation.

Well, everyone except for Rayson, who was currently in the middle of a mental breakdown as he fought to get past Tank's wide and entirely impassive frame.

"Let me go, you fucking asshole!" The Alpha bellowed, veins in his temples bulging as he thrashed against the thick arm that restrained him to the wall.

"I'm very sorry, sir, but I cannot do that at the moment." Tank replied respectfully, the meaning of his namesake more than clear as his arm didn't even budge a millimeter despite the fact that the person fighting against him was of Alpha blood.

The restraint really was necessary after the large male flashed his canines at Benji when the medic gave the slightest mention of needing to start an IV on Danny. The Alpha wouldn't accept it, his inner wolf flaring and instincts immediately pushing back at the mere thought of someone harming his incredibly vulnerable and heavily pregnant mate, even if it was technically for his own good.

Rayson's explosive anger flared the moment that he had to be forcefully dragged away from his mate's side. It left the man in a frenzied state, unable to use logic amid the stress of primal urges that left him with nothing but false delusions of danger and a borderline delusional preoccupation with Danny's comfort.

"Please... please just let me go." Rayson's voice cracked, emotion bubbling up between them as he begged, straining his neck in an attempt to see his mate's infirmary bed around the warrior's obstructive frame. "I need to fluff his pillows, they're getting flat again! And his neck pillow is in the wrong fucking direction! And I need to buy him those cute bunny slippers he's been asking about! And..."

"It's okay, Tank. I'm all finished." Benji's voice rang out, and Ray almost collapsed with relief as the warrior finally released him from that infuriating hold.

The Alpha tripped over his own feet on his sprint back to his mate's side, and Tank slid a chair underneath the man before he could fall to his knees beside his Omega.

"Bunny." The Alpha breathed, burying his face into his mate's hair to scent him while simultaneously pressing his hands against any exposed skin he could reach as if to verify that his mate was still there. "That horrible man took me away from you. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I would never leave you. I love you so much. Do you forgive me? Please say you forgive me. Are you in pain?" He rambled, tone frantic and oozing with concern as his inner Alpha wolf - Knox - wore a hole in his brain with his anxious pacing.

Danny winced through another gnarly contraction, the pain coming on a lot quicker now that he was almost fully dilated as well as the fact that he was still in human form - a choice that they'd made after reviewing Danny's higher risk for complications due to his older age as well as the development of high blood pressure throughout his pregnancy.

However, just after the contraction passed, Danny giggled at his husband, reaching out the arm without the IV in it to gently massage his mate's blonde strands.

"I'll be just fine, Alpha." He soothed, using his title in an effort to calm his mate's nerves, "I've been through this before when you knocked me up with the triplets, did you forget that?" Danny giggled some more, leaning over to nuzzle into Ray's neck. Rayson immediately nuzzled back, rubbing his cheek against Danny's jaw to instill his scent there before interlacing their fingers and squeezing tight.