CHAPTER 15

Cara- One year later

She has pretty blue eyes and they're widened in excitement.

Actually, her whole body seems excited.

Sitting in her high chair, she's flailing her arms in the air, her tiny fists pumping, as she swings her cute chubby legs. And don't even talk about the noises she's making.

I'm convinced that her laughter and her coos, her excited squealing can melt any heart in this world and fill all the empty spaces with joy.

But maybe that's just me because I'm her mommy.

To be honest though, my Daisy is the most joyous baby ever.

Like, she smiles at strangers. She waves at them. If someone waves back — which pretty much all of them do because hello, Diasy is adorable — she completely freaks out with happiness, practically dancing either in my arms or in her stroller.

Oh and she loves dogs. Puppies are her favorite in particular.

If she sees one in the park, we have to go and say hi. We have to pet him and let him lick our faces or our hands at least, and we have to tell him how much we love him.

Which I do obviously.

Because Daisy can't talk but she does tell me what to say.

She nods her head at me, which in Daisy talk means 'tell him that I love him.' If she's waving her little fists and squealing, then that means 'tell him he's the cutest puppy ever.' But if she also tries to get out of my arms to go crawling over to him, then that means 'tell him I wanna take him home.'

I keep telling Daisy that we can't take someone else's dog but she's yet to believe me on that.

So then we get into this whole mess where she cries and gets angry. Snot runs down her nose and she gets all red-faced, breaking my little mommy heart.

But you know, kids need to learn that they can't get their way every time they cry and throw a tantrum.

Even though it's super hard when my baby girl's voice has gone all hoarse from crying and she looks at me with accusing eyes, I try to stay stern.

Not someone else though, no.

Someone else is a complete sucker.

Oh God, is he a sucker.

A slight tremble on her rosy lips and his frown comes out to play. If she points her finger at a toy in the store, he lunges to get it off the shelf. In case someone else gets their hand on it.

Even though we can clearly see that they have that toy in stock, like tens of them sitting on that shelf.

And God forbid if a tear rolls down her pink cheeks, his wrath will not be contained. He'll pace and stomp and won't settle down until his Daisy girl has what she wants.

And so after a long, long debate and discussion, we're giving her a puppy. Because as I said, he's a sucker and tomorrow's my baby girl's first birthday.

Of course, she doesn't know that.

Not about the birthday — I think she knows. I've told it to her a million times now and I think she totally understands me. But about the puppy.

It's supposed to be a surprise.

The one who can't see his Daisy girl cry, her daddy, is going to pick it up after work.

Anyway in this moment, my baby's excitement is due to something else altogether.

It's because we're baking. And Daisy loves baking as well.